PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a Linux Virgin

sulekha
April 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

see this :- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346116,00.asp

mkrahmeh
April 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
very impressive, though he could seek better help on the grub problem :)
I remember trying linux for the first time (OpenSuse), but never had the guts to try it with unattended assistance from a friend, who is a guru himself

Saint Angeles
April 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
he obviously has no experience with not just linux, but any kind of partitioning. i really don't see how he could have screwed up his GRUB so badly if he selected the default partitioning option...

its nice to see how open-minded this guy is... but it takes a little more than an open mind to install an operating system.

Paqman
April 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM
he obviously has no experience with not just linux, but any kind of partitioning.

That's pretty typical for a Linux first-timer. That's why I think Wubi is one of the best things to happen to Linux in a long time. It significantly drops the barrier for adoption. We should be promoting it everywhere.

DenysT
April 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
For someone who is an editor/whatever for a major PC publication not to have slipstreamed SP2 and SP3 into his XP install disk boggles my mind. And since he said this computer was not really doing anything why did he choose to go dual boot? He should have just destroyed XP and went pure linux.

gn2
April 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
i really don't see how he could have screwed up his GRUB so badly if he selected the default partitioning option...

Easily done by installing Ubuntu onto a different hard drive from Windows, which I believe is what he did.
Grub can sometimes fail to boot either OS after installing this way.

Kareeser
April 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
That was a decent article. There were times when I wanted to yell at the screen - tell him that what he experienced wasn't what the majority experienced... but time and time again, he trudged on, hoping to give Ubuntu a fair trial.

There were about 5 different points at which he could've thrown in the towel, but I'm glad he continued.

I'm also of the opinion that if he had simply used the guided partitioning tool to utilise the entire disk, he wouldn't have run into any problems.

djsroknrol
April 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
When did Ubuntu start packaging StarOffice?

Mze
April 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
He didn't set a mount point for his 244 gig partition and so it's invisible to the system.

Looks like he's got HOME installed on his 6 gig partition. swap may be non-existent too, from his write up.

The guy should have read up a bit on partitioning prior. :confused:

Kareeser
April 30th, 2009, 04:58 AM
He didn't set a mount point for his 244 gig partition and so it's invisible to the system.

Looks like he's got HOME installed on his 6 gig partition. swap may be non-existent too, from his write up.

The guy should have read up a bit on partitioning prior. :confused:

All valid points, but from a Windows-to-Ubuntu standpoint, it's not clear enough that a dedicated swap partition is used in Linux, as opposed to Windows' page file.

Definitely some mistakes on his part... after all, manual partitioning is labelled "Advanced" for a reason.

CJ Master
April 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Hi all,

see this :- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346116,00.asp

For goodness sakes, please don't just say hi and leave us a link, give us a quote of whats inside or tell us in your post. :(

Icehuck
April 30th, 2009, 05:01 AM
He installed it on an old Sony VAIO and as I understand it those machines are very unfriendly to Linux. Have to give him some credit for sticking it out.