PDA

View Full Version : Linux: How much does it suck?

sulekha
April 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hi all,

see this <BeepBeep>

Paqman
April 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Did you write that article? If you did, why are you using the Ubuntu Forums to promote your entry in a competition? And if not, why are you publicising such ill-informed opinion?

Giant Speck
April 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hold on, everyone! We're going for a ride!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

mc4100
April 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I don't know what you are expecting by posting here, except vehement disagreement. It seems a pointless, poorly written and bitter rant against Linux, with circular logic about how viruses are really a complementary achievement of a successful platform. Someone's proprietary GPS doesn't work ... so the whole thing's a lot of rubbish?

TheSlipstream
April 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Have you actually used Linux for more then ten minutes, if ever? You didn't mention the user experience at all. This blog post may well be an amalgam of other, equally biased opinions.

skymera
April 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Garbage blog is garbage.

Excedio
April 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I did find a few sentences to be quite humorous...

If you are scared about virus, then install antivirus. Most ISPs provide you with free latest version of good anti-virus, spyware and firewall softwares. If you are a university student, then you also probably get them for free from your institution. Install all of them.

Yea...install all of them....then watch your computer function at a blazing speed...not.

Hallvor
April 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hi all,

see this <snip>

Poorly written, biased and unreflected. Perhaps the next article should be called: "My blog: How much does it suck?"

Enough troll-food.

skymera
April 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Yea...install all of them....then watch your computer function at a blazing speed...not.

Yeah the first thing I do with Windows is install

Comodo, AVG, Avira, Avast, Norton, McAfee, Panda, Kaspersky and NOD32. To name a few. :lolflag:

Giant Speck
April 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Also note the poor sentence structure. This person obviously doesn't speak English well.

.Maleficus.
April 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Poorly written, poor information, very dry, and voted to a 1.

Do your own research.
I actually laughed when I read that. I would suggest taking your own advice before you make another blog post.

Bölvağur
April 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Poorly written, biased and unreflected. Perhaps the next article should be called: "My blog: How much does it suck?"

Enough troll-food.

Do you want fries with that?

lisati
April 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
How much does it suck? Not nearly as much as my vacuum cleaner!

Paqman
April 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Also note the poor sentence structure. This person obviously doesn't speak English well.

Check his other blogposts (http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/idol/author/vijay/). Adwords, affiliate programs, etc. Bottom-feeding spamtard.

I'm looking very suspiciously at the OP, given his posting habits on this site.

racerraul
April 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Epic Fail

b@sh_n3rd
April 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Linux: How much does it suck?
Not as much as the nitwit that posted that blog. He's a bigger virus than Winblows in it self. HE needs all those anti-viruses if you ask me and I'd suggest not to post garbage like this and rile linux fans. And about that dudes story of being a geek, well, I love being a geek and am proud of it. There you go.

brunogirin
April 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I voted it to a 1 too and agree that there's a lot of garbage in this blog. But for me it raises a question: as Linux users, how do we respond to such a blog entry in a way that educates potential readers? Just saying "this is garbage" (even if it's true) will perpetuate the myth that Linux is for a geeky elite that is not interested in making it usable by mere mortals.

Here's the sort of answers I would give to a blog post like this:

On the virus issue, explain that Linux (as well as OS-X, BSD, Solaris and other *nix variants) is designed so that programs only run if you allow them to. And even if you do, they only run with your own privileges, they can't destroy a system.

On the inability to do anything in Linux issue, present some stuff that you do every day on your Linux box. If they have proved more difficult to do in Windows, so much the better. Even better is detailing how to do what the poster claims Linux can't do (such as getting GPS data in this case).

Any other ideas?

Saint Angeles
April 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I voted it to a 1 too and agree that there's a lot of garbage in this blog. But for me it raises a question: as Linux users, how do we respond to such a blog entry in a way that educates potential readers? Just saying "this is garbage" (even if it's true) will perpetuate the myth that Linux is for a geeky elite that is not interested in making it usable by mere mortals.

Here's the sort of answers I would give to a blog post like this:

On the virus issue, explain that Linux (as well as OS-X, BSD, Solaris and other *nix variants) is designed so that programs only run if you allow them to. And even if you do, they only run with your own privileges, they can't destroy a system.

On the inability to do anything in Linux issue, present some stuff that you do every day on your Linux box. If they have proved more difficult to do in Windows, so much the better. Even better is detailing how to do what the poster claims Linux can't do (such as getting GPS data in this case).

Any other ideas?

look... we linux users often discuss the advantages and disadvantages of linux in a mature fashion, but usually when the opposing viewpoint is presented to us in a similar way.

when we see a highly uneducated person spewing out false information using the worst grammar we've seen in a long time, we don't feel like acting mature and being informative is really going to help. it's obvious that logic and intelligence will not prevail here so i believe we should have as much fun as we want with this blog.

this blog is POOP! :lolflag:

brunogirin
April 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
look... we linux users often discuss the advantages and disadvantages of linux in a mature fashion, but usually when the opposing viewpoint is presented to us in a similar way.

Yeah, I know, I'm one of them Linux users (well, I actually started on HP-UX at the time when we were still vehemently discussing the pros and cons of Atari vs Amiga: plus ça change...)

when we see a highly uneducated person spewing out false information using the worst grammar we've seen in a long time, we don't feel like acting mature and being informative is really going to help. it's obvious that logic and intelligence will not prevail here so i believe we should have as much fun as we want with this blog.

Fair enough. However, even a blog post like that is an opportunity to educate the masses. After all, he has an audience (200 odd of them when I read the post).

Also bear in mind that someone who appears uneducated and has bad grammar could very well be someone for whom English is not a first language.

this blog is POOP! :lolflag:

I'm not disputing that :)

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Comodo, AVG, Avira, Avast, Norton, McAfee, Panda, Kaspersky and NOD32. To name a few. :lolflag:

Don't forget to install 3 firewalls!

fatality_uk
April 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, that's a VERY small, dark corner of the internet to be poking around in!!! Poor waste of HTML imho!

blueturtl
April 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Linux will suck as much as you want it to, possibly a lot more than you dreamed of with proper tweaking. ;-)

Compared to closed platforms that will only suck at the rate determined by their creators, that is a big advantage to have.

SomeGuyDude
April 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
When someone raises valid questions in a well-explained manner and seeks to resolve them, we'll happily help them with it.

When someone vomits random BS into a blog and puts it in a contest, I go :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

suitedaces
April 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Dougie187
April 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
He does have a point... I mean.. I really did decide to use linux because it made me look like a cool geek... not at all because it is more useful then other options...

I had to read it just because everyone was mentioning how poorly written it is. And I have to say, it was very humorous how it was written. I can't believe anyone would even believe it, there are so many holes in the post, and it only focuses on one point. Not very helpful.

Wiebelhaus
April 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
He's going to loose because his article sucks , I can't read stuff written from a 10 year olds perspective using a ten year olds sentence structure and a ten year olds terminology.

zakany
April 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Yep. My daughter's computer works just fine with Ubuntu. It's a great OS for a child.

I wonder if people get as animated over different BIOS? Phoenix sux! AMI rox! Makes as much sense, really.

bapoumba
April 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Closing the thread, end of the party, sorry :)