PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cloning OS to Laptop

happyhacker
April 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I've read about making an exact copy of the OS to disk in the event something requires a reinstall (any sort of virus probably means this is necessary). I would like to keep the copy on my "IT laptop" as opposed to a separate hard drive in the same server as that is not secure.

Backups to me are very complicated and I am always unsure what system is best. I backup the PCs but not the server at the moment. I have Backuppc installed which does localhost (but cannot get it working for the network) and the PCs use synctoy to back themselves up to the server each day.

What methods are available to get regular backups af the entire server system and is the method(s) documented?

Furthermore, what methods are available to backup a version of the system which can be ported to another server platform so that the original server can be reinstated quickly?

HermanAB
April 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Howdy,

Here you go:
http://aeronetworks.ca/netcat-howto.html

happyhacker
May 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
dd of=pc.img Not sure where the image is going? I want to copy from a linux server (hda) to a vista laptop. What is the operation at the Vista end to receive the stream?