PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Both Top AND Bottom Panels missing

mromblad
April 29th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I am not sure how it happened. I logged in fine and only my desktop showed. I was barely able to get into firefox. I have no where to click to add a panel.

any help is much appreciated.

I also do not know how to get into a terminal other then pressing ctrl+alt+f2.

andrea000
April 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I dont know what version you run but i know up to
8.10 this should work just never tried it myself.
from the terminal

To get all your default panel items back, simply
open terminal alt F2 and type in gnome-terminal
when you get a terminal type in

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

mromblad
April 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
installing ubuntu-desktop worked. that is odd that it just went away like that.. Thanks!

andrea000
May 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
no problem glad to help and welcome to ubuntu

fourbit
May 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you. I too had that problem and this has done the job. ;)

I couldn't get the terminal to show with alt+f2 . I used ctrl+alt+f2 and then used the command you provided.

I then restarted the machine. And, all has returned.

I too am curious what happened to begin with.

d3v1us
May 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
<Ubuntu Desktop 9.04>

for me the panels just didn't appear, so I'll need to add that to the startup applications. if you can right-click the desktop and create a launcher, name it whatever and for the command type: gnome-panel

double-clicking the new icon should load the top and bottom panels.

= d3v1us

78ufzniyE4
May 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
hi today i just had that problem i think i know why that happend after that girl replyed you must have acsedently removed the ubuntu desktop i wanted to remove evolution because i downloaded thunder bird so one of the packages had the rely on ubuntu desktop but i deleted that package along with ubuntu desktop sooooooo thank you so much lady i dont know what to call you :)http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif:D:popcorn:;):(

mcduck
May 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
hi today i just had that problem i think i know why that happend after that girl replyed you must have acsedently removed the ubuntu desktop i wanted to remove evolution because i downloaded thunder bird so one of the packages had the rely on ubuntu desktop but i deleted that package along with ubuntu desktop sooooooo thank you so much lady i dont know what to call you :)http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif:D:popcorn:;):(

Removing the ubuntu-desktop package will not remove anything from your computer, it's just a metapackage used to install all the stuff included in the default Ubuntu setup. (In other words, it's empty package that has all the default stuff marked as it's dependencies. On the other hand no other package depends on ubuntu-desktop, so installing it installs all the default stuff, while removing it only removes the ubuntu-desktop package itself)

But removing Evolution and all it's components will remove important stuff from your desktop. For example Gnome-panel needs some evolution components.. (For example the clock applet is tightly integrated to evolution, as it shows your appointments and tasks from Evolution calendar.)

edit: You can remove Evolution, if you want, but be very careful when removing other evolution components.

78ufzniyE4
September 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM
of topic how did you get coffey instead of bean
s:):guitar::lolflag:

Penguin Guy
September 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
of topic how did you get coffey instead of beans
You get it once you've made a lot of posts.