PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] enlighten me

ekss
April 29th, 2009, 04:37 AM
i just wanted to know or clarify which one is better when upgrading to 9.04. upgrade online, using the CD or they're just fairly the same?

iponeverything
April 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
They are the same, except for the speed of upgrade.

Generally speaking, people have better luck with clean installs than they do with upgrades, so you might look at backing up /home and going that route.

ekss
April 29th, 2009, 04:52 AM
thank you very much.

one more clarification/question. is it possible to upgrade to 9.04 with clean install and use the same installed applications? if so, how?

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2009, 06:30 AM
thank you very much.

one more clarification/question. is it possible to upgrade to 9.04 with clean install and use the same installed applications? if so, how?

If you have a separate /home partition, then you can keep most of configuration files, so it would basically look the same after install.

To get all software the you already installed, do this:

To replicate your packages selection on another machine (or restore it if re-installing), you can run this:

dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages

This will save a file called my-packages in your home directory. Make a backup of it, install the fresh release, then restore the file "my-packages" to new home partition and run this code in the terminal:

sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages && sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

It will download and install all the programs for you, except those that you installed manually, if they are not in the new repository

Some configuration might be needed if you changed stuff outside your home folder.

ekss
April 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
thanks all for the help :)