PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] another dumb noob question.... but complicated...

medicis
April 29th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I had intrepid running just fine on an athlon... with new Nvideo graphics card (N9400GT by MSI), duplex sound card, wifi card... TVcard (pchdtv 5500 -- which was previously working just fine..)

then I downloaded jaunty... and had it running pretty well with that sys.

Then I did my scheduled upgrade of mother board .. to a gigabyte, a new nvidia card, (by msi), retained my sound card (with full duplex) and wifi card.

Also, stupidly am running ubuntu with Mythbuntu on the main hard drive.

BTW, the parts I upgraded to are consistent with an installation of OSX86 on another hard drive... ..

Problem:
Now, the main symptom is hanging of the system.. cursor immovable, sometimes while configuring bios etc. Sometimes during login, sometimes after. Always within about 5 min.

Added on new 650 watt Antec ... didn't help. Nice power supply though...

I'd be happy to go into tedious detail of the equipment installed etc.

But first a question. If one has ubuntu installed. And then you change crucial hardware (as I have done), is there a procedure to follow to enable ubuntu to recognize everything. Should I have re run the Ubuntu CD? Spent hours reinstalling the system.. and all my junk?

Any help would be appreciated. I'll list other items if needed. etc. Am a forensic neuropsychologist in practice so it is hard to respond immediately. (reports and evaluations to do, you know).

but I could really use any suggestions.

thanks,

richard