PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Using Plugins in Docky

scathmandra
April 29th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hello,

I recently installed GNOME-Do and I'm excited to get rid of AWN and use Docky as my dock--seems a lot faster.

The GNOME-Do website, however, seems to talk about using plugins to control music and whatnot, and I'm quite confused as to how to do that.

Can anyone find it in their hearts to explain GNOME-Do's plugins--more specifically how to use them in Docky?

Thanks.

max_power
April 29th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Can anyone find it in their hearts to explain GNOME-Do's plugins--more specifically how to use them in Docky?

Thanks.

No problem. this is what you do:

1. right click on the gnome-do icon in the dock bar.
2. click on preferences
3. click on the plugins tab
4. pick what ever you want to use.

now the way this all works is like this:
lets say you want to use the Rythembox plugin.

on the keyboard press the super (windows key) and the space bar at the same time to bring up gnome-do. then, type "next" and you will see that the docky bar says "Skip to the next track in Rythembox"

and thats how it works. get it?

scathmandra
April 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

SuperD2000
April 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have a related question about Docky.

I am currently using AWM and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a Main Menu button in Docky.

I was also wondering if there is a way in Jaunty to remove all the panels in order to just use Docky/AWM.

Thanks in advance!!

max_power
April 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have a related question about Docky.

I am currently using AWM and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a Main Menu button in Docky.

I was also wondering if there is a way in Jaunty to remove all the panels in order to just use Docky/AWM.

Thanks in advance!!

yes you can remove the panels and just have docky.

Right click on the bottom panel and click "remove".

To remove the top panel check out this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=857024 but i dont think you can add a "start" menu to docky yet so i would keep the top panel. In my setup i kept the top panel and removed the bottom one. i like the wifi notification,dropbox and other icons on the top of the screen.

You can have the top panel auto hide.

lvleph
April 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I could be wrong, but there is no main menu in docky. However, there is a reason for this. Gnome-Do (Docky) has a feature that allows you to type the program name and then just hit enter. It is quicker than using a main menu.

max_power
April 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I could be wrong, but there is no main menu in docky. However, there is a reason for this. Gnome-Do (Docky) has a feature that allows you to type the program name and then just hit enter. It is quicker than using a main menu.

your right and gnome-do is the bomb but sometimes i find it easier to just the menu because i dont always remember the name of the app im looking for... :)

DBO
May 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
there are better ways to handle this issue, I am working on it =) And no, its not a menu on the dock.

SuperD2000
May 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You are right, sometimes you just need to have the menu. I had not thought about the autohide menu option. THANKS!!!

Now I am off to configure Conky and get some pretty desktop images...

Thanks again.

eyeonus
October 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
your right and gnome-do is the bomb but sometimes i find it easier to just the menu because i dont always remember the name of the app im looking for... :)

If you go to System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts, you can bind the Menu key (The one between r-win and r-ctrl) to "Show the panel's main menu". If you get rid of the panel's main menu applet, pushing menu will pop up a floating menu where the mouse is.

flesh99
November 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
I am using Docky and combination of screenlets to have everything I want on my screen. I use a dual monitor configuration and have Dock on the bottom middle of the right monitor, Window List (screenlet) on the top right in the right so I don't have to mouse all the back to screen 0 to switch windows, Main Menu (screenlet) on the top right on the right monitor just in case I need the full menu, Now Playing (screenlet) on the bottom left of the left monitor to control my music easily without mousing between screens, and so on. I used to use AWN, then Cairo, but the combo of Docky and Screenlets has really worked for me.