PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After update, firefox "bus error"

rustyslacker
April 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM
After running the latest batch of automatic updates (which included some firefox ones), Firefox fails to open at all.

It was odd. I had the update running behind my browser, and when it said "please restart firefox" I had just clicked on something so it didn't load, and stopped firefox with an error. I closed it, and then the computer locked up and I rebooted it.

So since that, Firefox refuses to open at all. I reinstalled it from Synaptic and apt-get, twice. I installed Epiphany and that doesn't start either. Running from terminal results in "bus error".

Help D:

RT236
April 29th, 2009, 03:30 AM
After running the latest batch of automatic updates (which included some firefox ones), Firefox fails to open at all.

It was odd. I had the update running behind my browser, and when it said "please restart firefox" I had just clicked on something so it didn't load, and stopped firefox with an error. I closed it, and then the computer locked up and I rebooted it.

So since that, Firefox refuses to open at all. I reinstalled it from Synaptic and apt-get, twice. I installed Epiphany and that doesn't start either. Running from terminal results in "bus error".

Help D:

Same thing just happen here a few minutes ago. I also just reloaded Firefox now from Synaptic and have similar errors as you. I'm sending this from Wine running the Windows version of Firefox. This is a very recent Firefox update for the Linux release, this evening it seems, as I checked Ubuntu updates earlier today and there were none for the Firefox Linux release. I've been using Firefox Linux practically since the first release and I've never had this happen...

kostkon
April 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Maybe the restart of Firefox didn't go well and its process is still running. Try giving this command in a terminal

pkill firefox
and then try to run Firefox again.

Hope that helps.

RT236
April 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Maybe the restart of Firefox didn't go well and its process is still running. Try giving this command in a terminal

pkill firefox
and then try to run Firefox again.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I should have thought of this, too long at PC today, getting flaky. The prior release was still running, killed it... rebooted too because of a lot of changes I did today with Ubuntu 9.04 (really nice release). Then reloaded latest Firefox 3.0.10 from Synaptic (I had deleted it) and Firefox plus all extensions, bookmarks, etc. all came back.

coolnezz
July 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
wracked my brains for a few hours on this problem. it happened after hard booting my computer, it was probably a damaged file system.
this solved it for me:

removing of xulrunner, nspluginwrapper and firefox and
re-installing fixed the problem.