PDA

View Full Version : How to secure a HDTV?

suitedaces
April 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I finally got myself a 32 incher for my 360 (a bit of saving topped up by a nice poker win) but I'm wondering, in the event of theft, is there anyway to secure or anchor the TV to stop thieves? I don't think there's a kensington lock on it.

pwnst*r
April 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I finally got myself a 32 incher for my 360 (a bit of saving topped up by a nice poker win) but I'm wondering, in the event of theft, is there anyway to secure or anchor the TV to stop thieves? I don't think there's a kensington lock on it.

pictures, receipt, + theft insurance

if you can't afford it, i would lock down your house/apartment better, not components.

Namtabmai
April 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Short answer?

No

Long answer?

Noooooooooo

Seriously thieves will steal anything regardless of locks. Unless you plan on cementing it into your wall you'd be better off just making sure it's covered on your house insurance.

blastus
April 29th, 2009, 12:27 AM
If they can't steal then they will smash it so either way it is like it was stolen.

suitedaces
April 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLB103M-Universal-Plasma-Bracket-Security/dp/B000RJ31IW/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001628BRA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1RQ9653Y402N4P1QFAVK

Would that do the job?

Polygon
April 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM
they sell these things that stick onto any surface which is like a metal loop thing which you can then attach a steel cable or a lock. Try putting it like on the back of the base

they can most likely cut it, but if they are in a rush (which is most of the time), they might just say screw it.

cariboo
April 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Engrave you name, address and phone number on the back. When it shows up at the pawn shop it will be easy to find.

suitedaces
April 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I like the sound of those, but can't seem to find them?

suitedaces
April 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Think I've found them, thanks!

Polygon
April 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM
something like this:

http://us.kensington.com/html/17082.html

they have a few on the kesington site, and you can most likely buy others elsewhere.

swoll1980
April 29th, 2009, 02:04 AM
They sell tv stands for flat panels that have latches you can put a padlock on. Unless the thieves new what to expect they probably wouldn't be prepared to deal with it.

tjwoosta
April 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
best bet is to try harder to keep theives out of your home in the first place

good locks and a good loud alarm system

use dead bolt locks for the doors, never trust the door knob locks

dasunst3r
April 29th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Like others said, prevention is the best anti-theft, period. If you own your place, you can wall-mount your display.

suitedaces
April 30th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Engrave you name, address and phone number on the back. When it shows up at the pawn shop it will be easy to find.
Will do, thanks.

they sell these things that stick onto any surface which is like a metal loop thing which you can then attach a steel cable or a lock. Try putting it like on the back of the base

they can most likely cut it, but if they are in a rush (which is most of the time), they might just say screw it.
Just ordered one off amazon and recommended them to a friend, thanks very much, I never knew they existed tbh.

garythegoth
April 30th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Superglue x300 tubes.

suitedaces
May 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Will do, thanks.

Just ordered one off amazon and recommended them to a friend, thanks very much, I never knew they existed tbh.

Came today (estimated dispatch was May 5th, so I'm impressed). Currently waiting for the glue on plates to "set" but seems like it will do the trick, so yays.

Polygon
May 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
yeah, stuff like that is pretty common. My university must have literally thousands of those, as everything, monitors, computers, those expensive computer projectors, ELMO's (projectors), etc all have some variant of those stick on thingys to prevent people from stealing em.

suitedaces
May 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM
yeah, stuff like that is pretty common. My university must have literally thousands of those, as everything, monitors, computers, those expensive computer projectors, ELMO's (projectors), etc all have some variant of those stick on thingys to prevent people from stealing em.

I'm spotting them all the time now in uni, but never noticed before.

mister_pink
May 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Try marking it with UV as well. Try looking up "smart water".

As someone else said as well, engraving your possessions is good. It helps recovery, like the UV marker, but because its visible it acts as a deterent too - it will make it harder for theives to sell on.

mips
May 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Pictures, Record Serial Numbers & get Household Insurance.

S0VERE1GN
May 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM
my tv is covered on my rentors insurance, thats how i do it.

tarps87
May 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Try marking it with UV as well. Try looking up "smart water".

As someone else said as well, engraving your possessions is good. It helps recovery, like the UV marker, but because its visible it acts as a deterent too - it will make it harder for theives to sell on.

I used UV markers when I was living in halls, it's not as much of a deterrent as engraving but it looks nicer (unless you use a black light :)). It will make it harder to sell and you may get it back. Along will locking it as suggested before.