PDA

View Full Version : Something odd about Ubuntu 9.04

skymera
April 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Just now.
I was thinking to myself "There's something odd about this release (9.04)"
Yes, i even thought of the brackets in my brain :)

There is something very odd indeed.. It is actually working perfect.
I've been running it for days on end with heavy usage and sometimes even forgot that i was even using Ubuntu. Everything just works, it's brilliant.

Sound - worked ootb
Graphics - Envy sorted my ATi out
Compiz - Works a charm!
Boot Speed - Amazing (11 seconds)
Themes - The best themes i've come across :D

For the first time since I've used Ubuntu (Well over 2 years) it's running like a proper OS.
I've had Ubuntu running fine before with 7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and 8.10 but they never felt like a "proper" OS... More like a gimmicky show.

Hats off to the developers :popcorn: Finally listening to the peoples! :guitar:

I felt like i needed to tell the world this. I'm very bored

Ozor Mox
April 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Agree with everything except one thing. I've been using Ubuntu for about two years as well, which has included every version since 6.06. Ever since then I've thought of Ubuntu as more of an OS than I ever thought Windows was, so it getting better and better is just icing on the cake :)

Vitamin-Carrot
April 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I love this release while i am a gamer and have a windows box having to do anyhting not related to games in it seems like a chore where as with ubuntu its actually enjoyable to use and actually tastes like chicken not cardboard

Ascenti0n
April 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
It's the best release yet IMO, even the poor audio (pulse) problems have been ironed out.

I did have a panic earlier today though as I had my system froze quite often and had to restart my machine each time. I tried looking at the server logs but I don't know what I'm looking for.

I suspected it was an add-on for Firefox. So I un-installed completely from within Synaptic, manually moved the .mozilla file elsewhere and then reloaded Firefox, and all seemed to be stable again.

Bart_D
April 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
...this release (9.04)......Everything just works, it's brilliant......

Looking at your specs, I'm not surprised.

... Boot Speed - Amazing (11 seconds)...

With your system, anything longer would be a disappointment.

FuturePilot
April 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I will agree. 9.04 has a polish that didn't seem to be in any of the other releases. Not to say that the other releases weren't good releases, they were, but there's definitely something special about 9.04

Vitamin-Carrot
April 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Iw ant to have its babies

Sealbhach
April 28th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I heard they put Castrol GTX in the kernel.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qmjs_castrol-gtx-oil-advert_shortfilms

CharmyBee
April 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
even the poor audio (pulse) problems have been ironed out.

Really? Is the delay gone? I'll upgrade in a heartbeat if that and FGLRX gets along and no ext4.

Tibuda
April 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
What is a "proper OS"?

gymophett
April 29th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Works amazing, audio is great, every worked out of the box, no bugs that I have seen. Its super fast. My boot time is about 10 to 12 seconds. I love it. If next release is better... then wow.

CharmyBee
April 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM
What is a "proper OS"?

An operating system with the system components actually operating as they should.

skymera
April 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Looking at your specs, I'm not surprised.

With your system, anything longer would be a disappointment.

My laptop boots in 20 seconds and login is about the same. It's not a speed demon, it's old.

- AMD Mobile Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz
- 768MB DDR
- VIA Unichrome IGP Pro (PRetty much unsupported)
- 160GB 5,400RPM 8MB cache

Saint Angeles
April 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
same here! i'm using the open source ATI driver for the first time. every other release since feisty i had to use the proprietary FGLRX...

also, pulse audio is finally beautiful! i can play multiple audio streams at once! i used to have to close rhythmbox if i wanted to watch a youtube video etc... but now, its seamless!

i use a USB audio interface (M-Audio USB Fasttrack) and it was perfect OOTB. same with my ATI card, and my madwifi wireless card!

i just can't believe it!