PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help - my text has odd colored shadow

tjwolf
April 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I wasn's sure where to post this problem, so I did so in both this forum and the hardware one - sorry if this is against etiquette.

A couple days ago I installed Ubuntu 9.04 fresh (I had 8.10 and prior versions running on same laptop before). After I began using the new version, I noticed that much of the text had oddly colored shadows (see attachment) that didn't exist before. Does anyone know what's going on?

I'm running on a Dell Latitude D820 with nvidia driver 180.44. I have a dual head setup (external Dell 2007FP and laptop screen) using TwinView. But the discoloring happens on both screens and, I *think*, also when I don't have the second screen connected.
The NVidia card is a Quadro NVS 110M - according to the NVIDIA X Server settings program. If I can provide any further info, please let me know.

I thought about disabling the nvidia restricted driver to see what effect that has, but I couldn't figure out how - the help for the "Hardware Drivers" screen talks about a non-existant "disable" checkbox?!! This screen has a "Remove" button only - I don't want to remove the driver - just to disable it!
Help!

Thanks a bunch,
Tom