PDA

View Full Version : I hate synaptic!

=^,^=
April 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Why does search not work properly in synaptic!

Its SO annoying!

Tibuda
April 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
How it should work?
I always find what I want.

Namtabmai
April 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Perhaps because it searches descriptions as well as names?

speedwell68
April 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM

Its SO annoying!

Works fine here. What are you searching for exactly?

MikeTheC
April 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, no problems on my system.

Heck, I did a search for "dopewars" and the game and it's associated data file came right up.

Skripka
April 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Its SO annoying!

Back in my *buntu days it worked great-especially in comparison to the jokes that were KPackageKit and Adept.

RiceMonster
April 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I didn't have this problem either.

Can't you do

apt-cache search <pkg>
as well? (sorry, haven't used apt in while) Maybe that will yield better results?

=^,^=
April 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Works fine here. What are you searching for exactly?

Libstdc++5

Namtabmai
April 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Edit menu -> Search, select name drop down, type libstdc++5. One result.

The quick search probably searches everything, including dependences. Which to be frank is a stupid default for a quick search.

=^,^=
April 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Edit menu -> Search, select name drop down, type libstdc++5. One result.

The quick search probably searches everything, including dependences. Which to be frank is a stupid default for a quick search.

Thanks that worked great! :D

jacob01
April 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I also had trouble finding a package. I installed a .deb that i downloaded online and it took me a while to find it i guess the search was case sensitive. To me this kinda defeats the purpose of a search, but besides that i can usually find what I'm looking for.

ssam
April 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
the search box in the tool bar just filters what is currently displayed.

swoll1980
April 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I didn't have this problem either.

Can't you do

apt-cache search <pkg>
as well? (sorry, haven't used apt in while) Maybe that will yield better results?

+1 using apt-cache search, and apt-get install/remove is way faster, and easier, than opening up all that GUI goodness in synaptic.

Bart_D
April 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I love synaptic!

dragos240
April 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I love synaptic!

+1, but you have to love the terminal. Fixes all your problems.

gnomeuser
April 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM
If you continue to find synaptic a bit cumbersome and overly complex might I suggest that you take a look at the PackageKit alternative in the packagekit-gnome package. I find it very pleasant to work with, somewhere in between add/remove programs and synaptic in terms of complexity.

Xbehave
April 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I've not used it in a while, but when i started with ubuntu it was soo much better than adept that i even used it on kubuntu, it was however pretty slow on full description searches. IMHO it should do an apt-cache search <word> style search on just names+short descriptions, then load additional results underneath.

Howver i found the cli, is much better than a gui package manager if you know what you want. Essentially your interacting with just text anyway, its a hard thing to sell to new users, but the cli is great for package management (you might still want to use synaptic to search for vague stuff like games/web browsers/etc, but i just use the web plus cli anyway)

drawkcab
April 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM
The add/remove applications front end is what drives me nuts. Super buggy.

myusername
April 29th, 2009, 02:54 AM
i hate packagekit.

Bart_D
April 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
The add/remove applications front end is what drives me nuts. Super buggy.

+1

I hate add/remove applications.

drawkcab
April 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
+1

I hate add/remove applications.

It is a very helpful thing for new users because it groups and documents various useful applications--provided that it works correctly. Unfortunately it doesn't.

Excedio
April 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
That's funny...i searched for Libstdc++5 and it was the first and only thing that was found.

Maybe I have a special version that uses magic for searching. \\:D/