PDA

View Full Version : Best Music Decade

WatchingThePain
April 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Folks,

I've just been listening to some 80's choonz Hall & Oates, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Tears for Fears.

I reckon for me the 80's was the best decade for exciting music.
Obviously this depends on your own experience.
What's your favourite decade and why?.
(Feel free to name some artists).

Mehall
April 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
80's IS fairly good, though not for any of the reasons you listed.

Iron Maiden and Metallica baby. The ris of Heavy Metal.

Of course, what is now Classic Rock from the 70's is also epic, and going back to the 60's has plenty of grat bands (The Who to name but one.)

Then again, the 90's has Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, The Foo Fighters, Weezer, etc, etc.

And 00's has a lot of good bands, though it does seem to be the weakest decade D:

SuperSonic4
April 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The 80s:

Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Rush, Anthrax, Testament, Black Sabbath...

need I go on?

Kareeser
April 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
And 00's has a lot of good bands, though it does seem to be the weakest decade D:

That's because to become successful in the 2000s, you just have to have a pair of jugs, and the lack of shame required to flaunt them everywhere. Singing talent optional :)

Mehall
April 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Actually Sabbath are late 70's my friend.

And Rush's first album may also have been 70's, I'll go look out my LP

Mehall
April 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
That's because to become successful in the 2000s, you just have to have a pair of jugs, and the lack of shame required to flaunt them everywhere. Singing talent optional :)

Not true, Jimmy Eat World are excellent, and Linkin Park, Franz Ferdinand, Audioslave (okay, cheating with Audioslave) are pretty solid.

SuperSonic4
April 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Both released albums in the 80s :p even if it was Dio with Sabbath in that era

billgoldberg
April 28th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Nothing beats 90s eurodance :p:p

swoll1980
April 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Can I say 75-85 as a decade.

speedwell68
April 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The 80s:

Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Rush, Anthrax, Testament, Black Sabbath...

need I go on?

I'm with you on those choices, except Sabbath and Priest. Ozzy left Sabbath in '79 and Sabbath with anyone other than Ozzy just sucked and I never really liked Priest.

koshatnik
April 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The 80s:

need I go on?

Rush, Sabbath started in the 1960's, Maiden, Priest 1970's. Where do you draw the line?

I think music in general was more organic in the way it grew and evolved, in previous decades. Its very focused and delineated nowadays. I don't think there has ever been a best decade for anything. Music, like all art forms, evolves and builds on what came before, so its a continuous evolution, and of course, bands span decades, so its hard to put them into a specific timeframe.

It is interesting looking back on previous decades - most of it was so unworldly and innocent. Things have definitely become more professionally buffed up and marketed.

gnomeuser
April 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Rage Against the Machine published all their albums in the 90's, thus it must be the superior decade.

I find the whole idea of a superior decade for music a little silly, each decade, each year produces lots of music. Every once in a while there will be a pearl which will remain for the ages.

I like music from pretty much every decade but I think if I was review the year of release of all my albums, break it down to decade and adjust for which songs I have rated highest it would indicate a preference for the 90's. That is not to say that a single song from a previous decade such as Jimi Hendrix' Little Wing might be a piece so perfect, so brilliant, so beautiful that it makes me elevate that era as special.

I love music, period.

.Maleficus.
April 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Bah, no way I could decide on just one.

70's: Rush, Black Sabbath, Focus
80's: Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica
90's: Dream Theater, Symphony X, Eric Johnson, Devin Towsend, Opeth, Pantera
00's: Dragonforce, Cellador, Ayreon (most of their albums), Children of Bodom (most of their albums)

Just off the top of my head. Of course there are others but those just come to mind.

WatchingThePain
April 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
80's IS fairly good, though not for any of the reasons you listed.

Iron Maiden and Metallica baby. The ris of Heavy Metal.

Of course, what is now Classic Rock from the 70's is also epic, and going back to the 60's has plenty of grat bands (The Who to name but one.)

Then again, the 90's has Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, The Foo Fighters, Weezer, etc, etc.

I love Iron Maiden.
Flight of Icarus , oh yes mate!.

WatchingThePain
April 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Since it's you, yes

WatchingThePain
April 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Rage Against the Machine published all their albums in the 90's, thus it must be the superior decade.

I find the whole idea of a superior decade for music a little silly, each decade, each year produces lots of music. Every once in a while there will be a pearl which will remain for the ages.

I like music from pretty much every decade but I think if I was review the year of release of all my albums, break it down to decade and adjust for which songs I have rated highest it would indicate a preference for the 90's. That is not to say that a single song from a previous decade such as Jimi Hendrix' Little Wing might be a piece so perfect, so brilliant, so beautiful that it makes me elevate that era as special.

I love music, period.

Yes Rage against the Machine I like very much...because I'm Housin!.
I think I like all of their tracks.
I remember that shocking Album cover with the monk burning. Phew.
Angry young men , but who can blame them.

To all those about to rock: We salute you. I reckon Ozzy Osbourne peaked in the 70's with Sabbath.
Yes I am no stranger to Rock.AC/DC, Groundhogs, Rainbow, Def Leppard, UFO, Wizard, KISS...I can keep going trust me.

The main thing is you have all reminded me of some damn good bands.

thisllub
April 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM

You certainly can.
I believe the 1960's musically began in February 1964 when the Beatles arrived in America and ended with the birth of Disco in 1974.

Most of the best popular music ever released was in this period.
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Doors
Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Yes

Not a band since then could displace any of those bands from a best bands list.
(Well maybe Black Sabbath).

WatchingThePain
April 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
You certainly can.
I believe the 1960's musically began in February 1964 when the Beatles arrived in America and ended with the birth of Disco in 1974.

Most of the best popular music ever released was in this period.
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Doors
Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Yes

Not a band since then could displace any of those bands from a best bands list.
(Well maybe Black Sabbath).

Excellent stuff, esp The Beatles..what can I say.
Thank you for that interesting point.
What would be great is if any one who was at Woodstock can tell us a bit about it.

SomeGuyDude
April 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm a big fan of 1740-1750.

=^,^=
April 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Most of the stuff i like is from 91 to 2001!

teamkiller87
April 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Sooo... Bach?

thisllub
April 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Beethoven wasn't born until 1770 so I have to say you are a few years early.

WatchingThePain
April 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hello SomeGuyDude..and does that sound better on a Gramophone?.
I can't imagine what that would be..that predates Laurel and Hardy singing about the mountains of Virginia.
Classical I don't know much about, I like Bach on Cello and Vivaldi.
Nigel Kennedy plays some good Hendrix stuff.

Youtube this guy: Luca Poppi (Little Wing)

Yngwie Malmsteen (I think that's the correct spelling) plays Rock and Classical and he's pretty awesome.

The last big live gig I went to was the Gypsy Kings, which overall was an awesome night.
It's just that they never did 'Hotel California'.

Saint Angeles
April 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
one decade is such a short unit of time, but i might have to say 1900-1910 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-romanticism).

in 1910, Stravinsky wrote The Firebird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firebird). also, Alexander Scriabin wrote Prometheus, "The Poem of Fire". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus:_Poem_of_Fire) Imagine a 20 minute piece of music without ANY resolution at all! most music consists of "tension and release" but there is no release at all in prometheus. about 10 minutes into it, you want to pull all your hair out and begin muttering to yourself.

Scriabin went crazy later on... probably because he created prometheus. or maybe he created that because he was crazy, iono...

RPG Master
April 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
1960-1979

Those years brought us Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath.
And just so you know, I am 15 ;)

WatchingThePain
April 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
1960-1979

Those years brought us Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath.
And just so you know, I am 15 ;)

Well done, your musical knowledge is impressive.

Mehall
April 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Well done, your musical knowledge is impressive.

1) I appreciate the sarcasm ;)

2) So are his maths skills if 60-79 is a decade!

SomeGuyDude
April 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Beethoven wasn't born until 1770 so I have to say you are a few years early.

Awful presumptuous of you! Personally I was talking about the Haydn brothers. Without 'em the Mozarts and Beethovens wouldn't exist!

WatchingThePain
April 29th, 2009, 12:24 AM
one decade is such a short unit of time, but i might have to say 1900-1910 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-romanticism).

in 1910, Stravinsky wrote The Firebird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firebird). also, Alexander Scriabin wrote Prometheus, "The Poem of Fire". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus:_Poem_of_Fire) Imagine a 20 minute piece of music without ANY resolution at all! most music consists of "tension and release" but there is no release at all in prometheus. about 10 minutes into it, you want to pull all your hair out and begin muttering to yourself.

Scriabin went crazy later on... probably because he created prometheus. or maybe he created that because he was crazy, iono...

Thanks for that.
I just checked out Poem of Fire and for me it was quite a different experience.
The music is very absorbing and I feel quite phased!.

.Maleficus.
April 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen (I think that's the correct spelling) plays Rock and Classical and he's pretty awesome.
AHHH HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT YNGWIE?! I have 5 Yngwie (and Rising Force) CDs sitting less than 2 feet from my face right now. He is definitely one of my favorite guitarists of all time, right up there with my all time favorite John Petrucci.

RPG Master
April 29th, 2009, 01:47 AM
2) So are his maths skills if 60-79 is a decade!
](*,)

I realise that I broke the rule. I guess I should have called it "the best period of rock".

Whatever :|

And I stated that I am 15 because I find that most guys my age can't appreciate the classics.

Mehall
April 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM
](*,)

I realise that I broke the rule. I guess I should have called it "the best period of rock".

Whatever :|

And I stated that I am 15 because I find that most guys my age can't appreciate the classics.

Where do you live? 0.o o.0 because far too often I see kids (ones with decent, non-rave, music tastes) seem to be all over Zeppelin et al.

granted, they don't know plenty of great older bands, but the reason why the guy I quoted was being sarcastic because all of the ones you listed are painfully obvious to ANY rock fan, regardless of age.

|Mitch|
April 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM
'88 - '94

Those were the years that Nirvana was active, ending with Kurt Cobain's death April of '94.

I know it's not a decade, but Nirvana will always be my favorite musical group, so oh well.

Mehall
April 29th, 2009, 02:01 AM
'88 - '94

Those were the years that Nirvana was active, ending with Kurt Cobain's death April of '94.

I know it's not a decade, but Nirvana will always be my favorite musical group, so oh well.

I know I mentioned them previously, and I know favourite is purely opinion based, to each their own stuff, but Oh my dear lord Nirvana are over-rated.

I like them, I can't think of a band Dave Grohl has been in that I don't like (and, in the case of Nirvana, as with others, I AM aware that he is not the most important part of them, but man does he ever pick his bands well) but I just think they are over-hyped.

Then again, I say the same about the Beatles.

swoll1980
April 29th, 2009, 02:34 AM
'88 - '94

That's a good period for me too. On top of Nirvana I also liked Queensryche, Soul Asylum, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam, and Blind Melon, amongst others.

chucky chuckaluck
April 29th, 2009, 02:36 AM
1680's.

Saint Angeles
April 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for that.
I just checked out Poem of Fire and for me it was quite a different experience.
The music is very absorbing and I feel quite phased!.

don't get me wrong, its a very awesome powerful piece of music, i was just pointing out how there is not a single dominant->tonic cadence (V-I) in the entire piece. In fact, if I can remember correctly, the piece ends on a leading tone (half step below tonic). It's extremely rare, especially for that time period. Scriabin was way ahead of his time.

Also, Prometheus made famous something called the Mystic Chord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_chord). It's extremely eerie, but somewhat jazz-like and the theory involved is again, WAY ahead of it's time.

He was obsessed with the idea of synesthesia. he believed that every pitch had a distinct color associated with it. for example, "this sounds very purple" (kind of). read about it here: Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Scriabin) It's just freekin fascinating how he connected the circle of fifths to his own little color wheel.

toupeiro
April 29th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Big fan of the 60's and really early 70's for Rock. Pretty big fan of the very late 80's to mid 90's as well for Rock with bands like Temple of the Dog, Mother love bone, Soundgarden, RHCP, Alice in Chains etc etc. (I know nirvana gets a lot of credit for grunge, but I was always kinda meh about them, which is why I didn't really mention them.)

I truly love the blues of the 20's and 30's - 70's though.. After that blues started to get this full, professional, polished sound that in my opinion took away something from what the blues was really about. Not to discredit those artists, but blues to me should make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, your heart ache, and your foot stomping to the rhythm all at the same time. It should also be about simple lyrics about complex things, and few instruments that fill you up musically as much as a full band, all in a good way. :)

HappyFeet
April 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Actually, Sabbath started in the late 60's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sabbath

I would have to go with the 60's as my favorite music era.

Flyingjester
April 29th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Big fan of 90s alternative, pearl jam, live, creed, etc. etc. I agree with mehall, nirvana was seriously over rated.

nmccrina
April 29th, 2009, 05:56 AM

I agree with this. The Police, The Clash, some of the best U2, some of the best Rush, Yes had some good albums in here, Eno, Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Simple Minds, Kate Bush, Kraftwerk, LOTS of good synthpop like Thomas Dolby, Gary Numan, Duran Duran...I'm sorry, I get carried away! I like all decades starting with the '60s, but it amazes me how many of my favorite bands were producing awesome stuff in this period. And I wasn't around then! I kind of regret it...:lolflag:

Edit: Of course, I missed The Cars and Van Halen, too...

logos34
April 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM

you didn't miss anything there in my book ;-)

1910-1920 was pretty darn interesting (covering stravinsky, scriabin's prometheus, atonal works of Second Viennese School, Ives, Bartok, folk music, ragtime, etc).

But if we can split decades, then early '60's - early '70's. I mean, practically everyhting is there: total serialism, jazz (postbop, cool, fusion, etc), post-modernism, electronica, indeterminacy, folk, rock, world, reggae, younameit. And the music is paralleled--even propelled by--an astonishing technological explosion in hi-fi/recording/amps etc

WatchingThePain
April 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I agree with this. The Police, The Clash, some of the best U2, some of the best Rush, Yes had some good albums in here, Eno, Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Simple Minds, Kate Bush, Kraftwerk, LOTS of good synthpop like Thomas Dolby, Gary Numan, Duran Duran...I'm sorry, I get carried away! I like all decades starting with the '60s, but it amazes me how many of my favorite bands were producing awesome stuff in this period. And I wasn't around then! I kind of regret it...:lolflag:

Good, I like all that stuff. Youtube has some of the more recent Gary Numan stuff which I like because it's a bit more Rock than he used to be, he has always been unique.
The Clash, "Daddy was a Bank Robber", great tune.
The Police were the band I was probably most into at the time.
I like the Album Peter Gabriel did with Kate Bush but I can't remember the name.
Duran Duran were huge in the 80's. Perhaps they were responsible for the Geometrical hairstyles and shoulder pads style?.
Rush were cool, "Spirit of Radio".
I have always been a fan of Kraftwerk, to me they are pioneers of electronic music.."She's a Model and she's looking good....", "Tour De France" - Awesomeness.
Van Halen are really a Rock Band but later in the 80's there were a lot of Rock bands in the pop charts. Van Halens song "Jump"..I have yet to meet someone who does not like that.
The Scorpions and Whitesnake had a lot of success.

The 80's produced a lot of great "one hit wonders".
You know when a band or artist takes the charts by storm for a short while like one or two songs then disappear forever?.
Let me attempt to name some:
Strawbwerry Switchblade, Terrence Trent D'Arby, Whoever did "My Cherona", Kajagoogoo (so cool), Nena "99 Red Balloons", Scritti Politti (Sad Story), Here's one I Love : "The Captain of her Heart"- Double, Thomas Dolby did that great video "She Blinded me with Science".

UB40 of course were huge in the 80's along with Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, REM, U2, China Crisis, Talking Heads,Simply Red, Inxs, Whitney Houston...

The Sisters of Mercy were cool.

I also like the 80's Disco stuff like Shalamar, Imagination, 5 star to name but a few.

I reckon people dressed more interestingly in the 80's prior to all this designer label cloned look.
I have actually seen real Punk Rockers too lol.
One thing I will not forget about the 80's was the way Bananarama used to "Dance".
Rubiks cube was insanely popular.
My tv hero was Roland Rat.
Does anybody care what Frankie said?.

The oldest stuff I tend to listen to is Blues..Muddy Waters, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker, Big Bill Broozy..that type of thing.
There's a well wicked dvd called "Devil's got my woman" which I have.
Nirvana did a good cover of the Leadbelly song "Where did you sleep last night".

Aside(
@ Logos34, Yes I have a pretty old A&R Cambridge Audio A60 amp and Rega planar3 turntable. It is actually made of wood and when I crank it up the whole house vibrates!.)

Bölvağur
April 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
none!

Each and every one of them has very good stuff going on.
The only thing that changes are trends, and that is just a fraction of the music scene. And if we only think about trends and other popular music then each decade should be like a teapot flying circling the sun.... have it so it can never been found.

WatchingThePain
April 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
none!
Each decade should be like a teapot flying circling the sun.... have it so it can never been found.

Hi Bölvağur,

May I use that as my signature?

Bungo Pony
April 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Favorites are probably the 1970s and 1980s. The 90s were okay until Kurt Cobain's death, and then modern music seemed to lose all direction. I think it's slowly getting back on track now. There's very little between 1995-2004 that I listen to. What I do have in my music collection from those years is mostly stuff that gets absolutely no airplay.

The 1960s had some great stuff in it too.

swoll1980
April 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM

And you can through some of the best stuff from Pink Floyd, Journey, The Eagles, Chicago, Air Supply, Foreigner, Bad Company, Poison, Def Leopard, Bon Jovi, Kenny Rodgers and too many for me to list, into this period also.

WatchingThePain
April 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM
And you can through some of the best stuff from Pink Floyd, Journey, The Eagles, Chicago, Air Supply, Foreigner, Bad Company, Poison, Def Leopard, Bon Jovi, Kenny Rodgers and too many for me to list, into this period also.

I like a bit of country.
Kenny Rogers.."oh Rubeeeeee, don't take your love to town".
Johnny Cash one of my greatest heros.

Johnny Cash did a cover of the Depeche mode song "your own personal Jesus" which was absolutely brilliant.

I love Neil Young, JJ cale, Joe Cocker.
Let's not forget Brucey Baby A.K.A. "The Boss" ("The Rising" is a particular favourite of mine).
What I do is wait for a hot summer afternoon, then I play "Judy Blue eyes Suite" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

"Bad Company" by Bad Company, I like your style.
I find Free a bit similar.
It's music for when you're cruising on a Harley.
Anyone remember Captain Beefheart?..."The my oh my".
"How was I to know that she was oh so shy..upon the my oh my.."

Def Leppard..I like the Hysteria album very much.
Bon Jovi "I'm a cowboy, ahm gonna steel your horse and ride.."
My favourite eagles song is "Life in the fast lane".

Youtube: I recommend anything played on "The Old Grey Whistle Test".

Blue Moon of Kentucky keep on shinin...