PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wiered permissions for Thunderbird and Firefox

SvenS.
April 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi
I have a problem an need your help.
Here is the history:
At first I had the problem, that my thunderbird would not save any changes of my account settings. Then I found out that this could be because of wrong file permissions. So I tried to change the file permissions. After that my bookmarks in firefox were gone. After several different changes in file permissions - I don't remember exactly everything I have done - I have now the situation that:
1) from the panel thunderbird would not start at all anymore --> permission dinied
2) from the panel my firefox would start from scratch (as if I would start it the first time) and has no function on the "back" and "forward" button, all my bookmarks are gone and several other problems
3) but, what I can do is to start a shell and type "sudo thunderbird" and then thunderbird works perfectly fine. and from within thunderbird I can click on a web-link in an email and that opens a firefox that is just the way mx firefox has been before all the problems begun. so everything is fine then.

How can I change back so that my thunderbird and firefox would open up normaly with all my settings and bookmarks an so on for my normal ubuntu account and not for the root account? How do I go back to normal - if possible - without having to install everything again and having to set up all the accounts again?