PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy server upgrade

Slancher
April 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm wondering how to update my 7.10 Gutsy server. The sources.list file is out of date. The sources seem to have been removed from archive.ubuntu.com

The only access I have to this server is via ssh since it lives in a different city.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

tahnok
April 28th, 2009, 07:38 PM
You can run a system update with the following two commands from the terminal once you've logged in via ssh.

The first is to update your sources.list

sudo apt-get update

and the second is to actually upgrade all the out of date packages

sudo apt-get upgrade

snowpine
April 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
There will be no new updates for 7.10, as support ended earlier this month. I recommend 8.04, the current long-term-support version (supported through April 2011).

Slancher
April 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
apt-get update and apt-get upgrade both fail:

Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/ntp/ntpdate_4.2.4p0+dfsg-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb 404 Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

apt-get update --fix-missing doesn't do anything.

Slancher
April 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'd like to upgrade to 8.04 but I'm not sure how to acomplish this. apt-get dist-upgrade fails. I believe this is all due to the out of date sources.list file.

snowpine
April 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Try editing sources.list and changing all instances of 'gutsy' to 'hardy'. This is the Debian method, but I think it will also work in Ubuntu when all else fails.

Slancher
April 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Try editing sources.list and changing all instances of 'gutsy' to 'hardy'. This is the Debian method, but I think it will also work in Ubuntu when all else fails.

Thanks, so far this is working like a charm.