PDA

View Full Version : Audigy Works in Dapper

h3xx3r
January 8th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Hi first post As I feel this is worth registering for.( I'm a Very Long time lurker & user of Ubuntu)
Anyway my daughter has been on breezy for quite a while now, & her soundblaster audigy has always been a problem. ( understatement)
I always run developement ( with ubuntu, or Debian.) So I've been sitting on Dapper for a little while now, & I thought it seems pretty stable now, So I'll move her over and let her see how its looking, Install ( Flight2) went like a breeze. Sorted the locales bug , network interface bug,then took all 384 updates :S I thought this was going to end in disaster after restart, restarted, .. no problems GDM greeter sitting looking pretty Logged in ... SOUND out of the box . I've tried to get this card working in many flavours of debian, fedcore, SuSE, This is the first distro that has done this for me :).
So judging from the many many posts around 'nix forums about Audigy2 zs audigy4 , When it gets known dapper likes the audigy you may have a few new converts.
Anyway I made this account to say "THANKYOU" & now I've made the acc I'll probably post some :):)
Dapper is looking slick, and still a while before release.

xequence
January 8th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Thats great =D

Lets hope its a sign of the ultimate awesomeness the final version will be.

erikpiper
January 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM
My audigy2 Platinum Pro worked with NO config in breezy......

Stormy Eyes
January 8th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I had my Audigy2 working with Hoary, but I had to junk ESD and use straight ALSA. Not that I minded; I prefer a pure ALSA config. Congrats on getting your Audigy to work.

BoyOfDestiny
January 8th, 2006, 06:13 AM
I had my Audigy2 working with Hoary, but I had to junk ESD and use straight ALSA. Not that I minded; I prefer a pure ALSA config. Congrats on getting your Audigy to work.

Ditto. I'm grateful that card is well supported. I just hope esd is dead and buried... I'm testing dapper, but I dist-upgraded with "sound server startup disabled" and all the alsa-oss etc stuff in... If anyone knows, I'd be happy to hear it's gone.

zenwhen
January 8th, 2006, 04:20 PM
My Audigy has worked out of the box on Breezy, Hoary, Warty, Gentoo, Slackware, Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, and Arch.

Derek Djons
January 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Nice to hear such good news while Dapper Drake is still under some die hard development :)

Stormy Eyes
January 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Ditto. I'm grateful that card is well supported. I just hope esd is dead and buried... I'm testing dapper, but I dist-upgraded with "sound server startup disabled" and all the alsa-oss etc stuff in... If anyone knows, I'd be happy to hear it's gone.

No, ESD is still there, dammit. But that's what killall -9 is for. :)

h3xx3r
January 9th, 2006, 05:17 AM
My Audigy has worked out of the box on Breezy, Hoary, Warty, Gentoo, Slackware, Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, and Arch.
Fair play From the problems(many) i've seen posted You've had an easy ride. ( My particular card is audigy 4 ( Which I'm told is actually Audigy2ZS) & Not once has it worked out of the box in any flavour of Linux. ( always much config & tweaking.)
If only the past few months with this Audigy had been so simple. But since shes a musican and uses box for recording, I needed it working properly, Strange really as In my box I have a Pro 24bit/96 Khz Terratec Soundcard & its been Extremely well supported for a very long time. (Out of the box)(never have checked the optical side of it though.)
Anyway at least this will be good news for the many people with problems in other distros & breezy too. Certainly made my life a little easier.