PDA

View Full Version : My Problems With Ubuntu Netbook Remix

joeydawson
April 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hi there, i wanted to discuss with someone where i think UNR has gone wrong (especially with the right hand menu) and didn't know where else to past my complaints.
The news of it's release had me quite hyped, so I downloaded it and after checking a few screenshots i installed the OS on my little sisters machine. aesthetically pleasing.

If i where to redesign UNR to make it's User Interface more well, useable, I would make the following changes:

1. I would not change the left hand side of the screen or the way the application sub categories open to the centre of the screen, I would however have all the applications customised to open into the centre panel. This way you could have several programs open stacked one upon the other within the centre panel.

2. A simple 'full screen' tab would give the user the ability to view any of these apps in full screen mode with the program remaining docked within the centre panel.

3. Along the bottom of the screen a vertically expanding dashboard would show the programs that are running rather than the usual dashboards that show a list of installed programs to run.

4. Rather than opening a gnome window (when i click on either of the music, pictures, video or docs tabs)
the files are displayed in the centre panel
- with a player function for music and video
- with a slideshow feature for photos

5. Gnome is a standalone app which gives the user the ability to edit files and folders but the vast majority of the user experience will exist without the need for using gnome.

I'll go and fix up a few screenshots of these proposed changes and see what people think, until then, feel free to respond and add to this topic

cdwillis
April 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
You know how I made my netbook remix install more usable? Switched to regular desktop mode. :P

Swagman
April 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hi there, i wanted to discuss with someone where i think UNR has gone wrong (especially with the right hand menu) and didn't know where else to post my SUGGESTIONS.
The news of it's release had me quite hyped, so I downloaded it and after checking a few screenshots i installed the OS on my little sisters machine. aesthetically pleasing.

If i where to redesign UNR to make it's User Interface more well, useable, I would make the following changes:

1. I would not change the left hand side of the screen or the way the application sub categories open to the centre of the screen, I would however have all the applications customised to open into the centre panel. This way you could have several programs open stacked one upon the other within the centre panel.

2. A simple 'full screen' tab would give the user the ability to view any of these apps in full screen mode with the program remaining docked within the centre panel.

3. Along the bottom of the screen a vertically expanding dashboard would show the programs that are running rather than the usual dashboards that show a list of installed programs to run.

4. Rather than opening a gnome window (when i click on either of the music, pictures, video or docs tabs)
the files are displayed in the centre panel
- with a player function for music and video
- with a slideshow feature for photos

5. Gnome is a standalone app which gives the user the ability to edit files and folders but the vast majority of the user experience will exist without the need for using gnome.

I'll go and fix up a few screenshots of these proposed changes and see what people think, until then, feel free to respond and add to this topic

Fixed

LowSky
April 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
1. Dont like this idea, If you have a netbook with a 7" Screen it would make windows too tiny, heck on my 10" model it would annoy me.

2. It does tabbing already, just lick on the icon and choose the app from the top bar.

3. use normal desktop mode, optimize it for you netbook using gnome do or AWN, and screenlets

4. the opening files/photos thing I will agree with but it doesn't make or break it the way things are now. Music I would rather still use Banshee, and VLC for movies,
Here's a trick most people might not know, if you hover over a song file it will begin to play after a few seconds, neat thing I learned a few weeks ago when I left an MP3 on my dektop and left my mouse hovering on it.

5. UNR is built to work with Gnome, and actually gnome cant do any of what you said, Nautilus (from the GUI stand point) is that application in charge of that. Sure it is built into Gnome but I'm trying to be precise.
Also none of the applications would run without Gnome, or any other GUI.

Orlsend
April 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
You know how I made my netbook remix install more usable? Switched to regular desktop mode. :P

Thats probably the best thing to do, I am on EeePC and I have no Problems with it. The NBR or UNB are the same thing as a Dvd menu to me, completely useless.

LowSky
April 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM
The NBR or UNB are the same thing as a Dvd menu to me, completely useless.

Using the netbook remix has its ups and downs. Personally I like it for my netbook, and I was even thinking of using it for my Media PC. People forget that regular Ubuntu will run on a netbook, at least one built with an Intel Atom and a hard drive over 4GB.

joeydawson
May 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Thread continued here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7187546#post7187546

Sef
May 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Locked. Dup thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7187546#post7187546).