PDA

View Full Version : Good linux distro for a tablet?

ABAPChad
April 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums but not that new to Ubuntu (I've been using it for about two years now). Anyway, I don't think my question is ubuntu specific so I decided to ask it here.

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for drawing on the go. I could just defect down the vista + photoshop route, but I don't want to do that unless I really have to. So I guess my question is, does anybody have any recommendations for distros/software? I have used gimp for the past while, and while it does the job somewhat, I'm curious to try other things. The ubuntu studio distro caught my eye, has anyone used this? Up until now just I've used desktop and server.

Thanks in advance,
Chad.

elliotn
April 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think ubuntu studio uses gimp also. Don know

Dragonbite
April 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
For Tablet PCs? Not sure.

Ubuntu Studio is pretty good though you can get "there from here" by installing the seperate apps. See if they have a list of applications they include and pick-and-choose those you want.

For example, if you are not interested in audio or video editing then you may want to skip those apps.

Some visual apps; Gimp, Inkscape, Xara, Synfig, Pencil, Cinepaint, FontForge and more. Also look at what apps they have that are for color coordinating and such.

Either way, Ubuntu Studio should give you a good starting point at least for the idea.

If you are just looking for a drawing tablet; one word: Wacom.