PDA

View Full Version : No notification of new updates

sefs
April 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I am not getting notification of new updates to jaunty. Is this turned off by default in jaunty?

bikeboy
April 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904#Change%20in%20notifications%20of%20available%2 0updates

Pasdar
April 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
They have decided to change it, so you only see notification when there is a security update. I think they should add additional options in configuration screen, i.e.:
1. Notify when only security update.
2. Notify when any update available.

billgoldberg
April 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
They have decided to change it, so you only see notification when there is a security update. I think they should add additional options in configuration screen, i.e.:
1. Notify when only security update.
2. Notify when any update available.

See my blog post called "fixing some Ubuntu 9.04 annoyances (http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/fixing-some-ubuntu-904-annoyances/)".

skymera
April 28th, 2009, 01:07 PM
To get the GNOME default notification messages do:

sudo apt-get install gnome-stracciatella-session

Logout (or restart X)
Click options (bottom left usually) > Select Session > GNOME (without Ubuntu extensions (or similar))

sefs
April 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Great! thanks a mil. We really should not have to be mucking around with this nonsense.

The sudden disappearance of crtl+alt backspace really pissed me off....I didnt even bother to hunt a solution but am glad to see it addressed in your blog.

Vadi
April 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
crtl+alt backspace annoys me too, but the new upgrade notifications are great actually after giving them a try.

Really - this is what computing should be. Worry-free. My mom the other day just cursed at another round of firefox security updates (she turns on laptop, checks email, opens powerpoints with pictures, browses forums - not into tinkering with the thing and doing manual, since ubuntu doesn't have completely automatic, updates).

I was quite happy with it too after giving it a try. Whenever it decides to popup, I update. No more nagging by the orange icon :)