PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

suitedaces
April 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'm probably abusing the off topic nature of this board, but you know those double electrical sockets (outlets)? In terms of wiring, are they two completely different sockets just put side by side, or are they the equivalent of a built-in double adaptor?

WildeBeest
April 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Speaking USA, they are daisy chained (wired in parallel).

suitedaces
April 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I wonder what they are like in the uk? it's just that I intend to run a tv and xbox off of one, and modem, router and laptop charger off another, but don't want to fry everything.

mcduck
April 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks, I wonder what they are like in the uk? it's just that I intend to run a tv and xbox off of one, and modem, router and laptop charger off another, but don't want to fry everything.

Don't worry, you are going to blow a fuse before any damage can happen.

Judgegeo
April 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Don't worry, you are going to blow a fuse before any damage can happen.

You shouldnt worried, thats why we have fuses, RCD's, etc. If you want to be safe use surge protection =)

mips
April 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
it's just that I intend to run a tv and xbox off of one, and modem, router and laptop charger off another, but don't want to fry everything.

That will not generate nearly enough load to worry about. You are way under the current limitations of a single socket.

If you give me the wattage of each device (can be found on back/bottom of device or the powerpack) I will tell you how much current you are drawing.

Linux&Gsus
April 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
AFAIK that the same everywhere. Means daisy chained. If not then it's usually (purposefully) self-made. But that means that you'll have additional (hopefully well labeled) circuit breakers for that.
And don't worry about the load. At times I have 3 computers, battery charger, (small) lights, speakers, mobile A/C, and what not on one outlet. :D

smbm
April 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I'm an electrician, you'll be fine. Those loads shouldn't add up to more than a few amps.

The fuses/breakers are there to protect the cable so if they've been properly installed they'll trip if you overload the circuit.

If it does trip make sure you seek professional advice.

LowSky
April 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
On just one outlet (with two power strips) I have my 37" HDTV, PS3, Air Conditoner, Cable TV box, Lamp, cable modem, wireless router, phone charger, and spare PC I use with the TV.

Not once has the power dipped or went down running all the equiptment.

suitedaces
April 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys.

infoseeker
April 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
On just one outlet (with two power strips) I have my 37" HDTV, PS3, Air Conditoner, Cable TV box, Lamp, cable modem, wireless router, phone charger, and spare PC I use with the TV.

You're REALLY pushing it to the limit buddy :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 29th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by LowSky View Post

You're REALLY pushing it to the limit buddy :)

He probable should check the current rating of the power strips. I hope the power strips are not daisy chained.

Macchi
April 29th, 2009, 05:07 AM

Didn't you forget to mention the blender, the shaver, the dishwasher, a washing machine and the cable to reload the electrical scooter? :)

PS: Personally, I have my server connected to just one safe outlet through an UPS.

tsali
April 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
You can tap into a hidden infinite power source by plugging your powerstrip into itself. The government and Microsoft does not want you to know about this.

Paqman
April 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM
You can tap into a hidden infinite power source by plugging your powerstrip into itself. The government and Microsoft does not want you to know about this.

And then strapping it to the back of a buttered cat, right?

Generally speaking you can plug a lot of appliances into one socket. Exceptions to this would include anything with a heating element (kettles, toasters, heaters) or big motor (refrigerators, vacuum cleaners). On really high powered machines like these it's also a good idea not to leave any extension leads coiled while you're drawing current, as doing so can be a fire hazard.

tsali
April 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM
And then strapping it to the back of a buttered cat, right?

Now that's just stupid. Everyone knows that buttered cats are only necessary if you plan on creating a mobius DC waveform.

Amateurs...