PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Loading, Please wait" on 8.10 - 9.04 first boot.

Phat Phreddy
April 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM
As per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136019 someone elses post.

Ibex 8.10 was running fine (under wubi) I did the upgrade and the machine reboots and sits there (forever, or overnight anyway) with "Loading.. please wait".

I was able to reboot earlier kernels in grub but the system seemed (increasingly) unstable.. I figured it might be a wubi issue as I was low on system space before the upgrade. My 'test' install of 8.10 had been running fine for so long I just never got round to doing a proper stand alone install.

Booted windows for the first time in months.. DL'ed a live CD i386 version.. Shifted some files and scrubbed an 80GB disc partition for install.. Reboot and boot the live CD, the ubuntu logo and menu comes up with options to boot to live CD, install, check discs for errors, and test mem.. Only test memory works all of the others just go to a loading please wait and flashing cursor or blank screen (check disks for errors). I have left them for 30+ mins without any changes.

Then checked my live CD (desktop i386) download MD5 and its fine.. Did a fresh wubi install with the 9.04 live CD.. Exactly the same thing.. Installs fine then reboot, pick linux and "Loading, Please wait.."

Ibex worked 100%.. Vista and XP both boot (I wont say work 100%).. But 9.04 is not going anywhere.

Downloading a 8.10 live CD now..