PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which Ubuntu Do I Have?!

jtb_90
April 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM
This is what I did, I downloaded and installed the Ubuntu Studio 9.04 ISO, burned it, installed it, then to my despair after experimenting and reading that it had no wireless support, so I did what I thought was the only way round.

I downloaded the standard Ubuntu 9.04 ISO, burnt that, installed it, everything works great, automatic wireless detection, love it. Once set up, through Synaptic I searched ubuntustudio and installed everything, so when it boots up, shuts down, the theme, the sounds, everything has changed to Ubuntu Studio, but in GRUB, it still only comes up as Ubuntu 9.04.

Now I'm aware that Ubuntu Studio is an official variant of Ubuntu, but I wasn't sure whether it was simply built on top of the standard OS, so without realising whether what I installed is just some type of skin or not, do I officially have standard Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio?

Everything's great in 9.04 btw I love it!

jtb_90
April 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Bump

binbash
April 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
9.04 with ubuntu studio.It is like installing kubuntu desktop on ubuntu.

snowpine
April 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Ubuntu Studio = Ubuntu + the ubuntustudio-* applications + the linux-rt realtime kernel.

It is the same core system; you can convert regular Ubuntu to Studio (as you have done) no problem.

jtb_90
April 28th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Oh right cheers so is there a difference between the standard Ubuntu kernel and the Ubuntu kernel or are they the same thing?

Sorry I'm still n00b!

snowpine
April 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM
'sudo apt-get install linux-rt' will give you the real time Ubuntu Studio kernel.

markbuntu
April 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Ubuntustudio is a ubuntu metapackage of audio and video and graphics applications for ubuntu. What it does is provide a prepackaged environment for audio video and graphics production.

I usually install ubuntustudio metapackages on top of the regular ubuntu so I really cannot tell you what is missing from ubuntustudio that is in the regular ubuntu but I know there are a few things, but not many.