PDA

View Full Version : Remember SkyOS?

phaed
April 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
So remember when the developer of SkyOS went on a rant (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=736828) about Ubuntu? This is a guy who was charging people to beta test his software, something that even Microsoft doesn't do.

This is the latest update on his web site:

SkyOS development is currently halted

The speed at which new hardware and technology gets developed has increased dramatically in the last few years. Trying to catch up with development of frameworks, drivers, applications, test, etc. got way more complicated than years ago. At that time, you developed a standard IDE driver and SkyOS would boot on 99% of all computers. There was only one way interrupts got routed, devices could be accessed, etc. More important, there was just a single CPU, no hyperthreading, mulitcores, multi cpus, etc. (at least not for computers the usual home user owned). A GUI was easy, in contrast to today, where you must have a 3D accelerated GUI. If you don’t have one your OS is said to be old, out of date. You must have WIFI, USB, Bluetooth, etc.

Catching up with the development for all this is just not possible anymore, at least, not for one person or at least, not for me.

Currently, SkyOS development is on halt, and I’m trying to find a way to get out of this unpromising situation. At this moment I only see four resorts:

- Open source SkyOS
- Make SkyOS available for free
- Specialize on a yet to define niche
- Stop SkyOS development

He was rather unrealistically optimistic in trying to develop an entire operating system by himself, wasn't he? I wonder if it boots on more machines than Ubuntu now.

hanzomon4
April 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
heard about this awhile ago... sad, skyos seemed cool. I hope he open sources it. As to this ubuntu flap, just heard about it.. ouch. Thing is I've had the same thing happen before with either ubuntu or other distros. I find it funny that everyone jumped him like an unloved child though. Ubuntu fails on some machines, no biggie. The sad thing however is that Ubuntu really is good but if you can't install it it just looks like utter crap. The only thing I can fault him for is expecting to install it like a "normal user". What normal user installs an operating system!?!?!?

SunnyRabbiera
April 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I say kick him when hes down, but then lend a hand afterwards.

Sealbhach
April 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Did anyone ever try Sky OS?