PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu's new notification system in firefox ?

anando
April 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hi

It would be great to have Jaunty's new notification system integrated with firefox. However, I could not find a addon / plugin for this. I see that some people have started on this work (https://launchpad.net/libnotify-mozilla) - is there any news from that end ? It looks like it only works for Thunderbird now. Has anyone figured out a way already ?

Any advice will be very gratefully received.

Cheers,
Anand.

ninjapirate89
April 28th, 2009, 05:41 AM
To be honest I can't see to many practical uses for this. Maybe to tell you that your downloads have completed.

anando
April 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM
On the contrary, desktop integration is an important thing for many people. If such a thing comes along - I'm sure there will be a button to turn it off.

To be honest I can't see to many practical uses for this. Maybe to tell you that your downloads have completed.

ndefontenay
April 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM
What's this new notification is about anyway?
I mean when are we supposed to see it?
Events such as new external HD connected, wifi connected and the like?

ninjapirate89
April 28th, 2009, 05:52 AM
On the contrary, desktop integration is an important thing for many people. If such a thing comes along - I'm sure there will be a button to turn it off.

I agree it is important and I personally love the notifications (and will never turn them off), I'm just saying their isn't too much info Firefox needs to relay other than downloads.

anando
April 28th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Bang on target - see ...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD

What's this new notification is about anyway?
I mean when are we supposed to see it?

ninjapirate89
April 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Its kinda pointless to give a notification when you physically connect a new hard drive b/c you already know you're doing it. As for Wi-fi, I already get notifications when I connect.

anando
April 28th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Its kinda pointless to give a notification when you physically connect a new hard drive b/c you already know you're doing it. As for Wi-fi, I already get notifications when I connect.

Its not 'kinda pointless' - but very important to integrate the way different programs notify users of different things in a uniform way. It enhances the desktop experience.

If it is hard for you to 'get it', I suggest that you try a Mac OSX for a week to see what I mean. They use 'growl' notification (http://growl.info/about.php) across all applications. You can obviously choose not to receive notifications from events that are pretty much obvious.

ninjapirate89
April 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Its not 'kinda pointless' - but very important to integrate the way different programs notify users of different things in a uniform way. It enhances the desktop experience.

If it is hard for you to 'get it', I suggest that you try a Mac OSX for a week to see what I mean. They use 'growl' notification (http://growl.info/about.php) across all applications. You can obviously choose not to receive notifications from events that are pretty much obvious.

While I agree that it does enhance the desktop experience, it would get very annoying to me to be notified about every little thing I do while using my computer. Being notified of new mail, new messages, song changes, completed downloads, new updates etc makes sense because these are things you may otherwise might miss, but if I start getting notified about things that I know I am doing like sending an email, plugging in external drives, etc then it could become annoying. If it ever reaches that point then hopefully they will make it similar to growl so I can turn off unwanted notifications.

ndefontenay
April 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
That's pretty neat. I've seen only the wireless part so far. I almost want to run out of battery just to check the rest of it!

anando
April 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I guess firefox is way down in the list of programs which will be patched to use the new notification system:

anando
April 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yes it does look awesome - and I look forward to the day when all the notifications (including firefox, vlc, rhythmbox, thunderbird, evolution etc) make use of this technology. *Sigh*

That's pretty neat. I've seen only the wireless part so far. I almost want to run out of battery just to check the rest of it!

joey-elijah
May 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Firefox can already use Jaunty's notifications - you just need to install an add-on and modify a preference in Firefox.

Shameless plug, but hey! http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/05/firefox-use-notification-jaunty.html

el-mar01
May 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM

Sounds like you are against Notify-OSD rather than against the OP's idea. (in other words trolling)

Fantastic work abhishek.mukher.g !!! I just installed it and it works very well.