PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Virtual Machines.

NS RAO
April 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I tried out several Ubuntu distos’s on Virtual computer & Vmware & found some interesting tips. The first distro I used was Damm Small Linux on Virtual computer 2007 I installed virtual computer 2007 & then created the virtual machine with all the default options with 256mb of memory. I then started the virtual machine clicked on the CD tab selecting Capture ISO picture & then I watched Damm Small Linux boot. To my surprise everything worked be default, I was now walking Damm Small linux virtual machine with-in my winows xp laptop, lovely. I was able to connect to the network both wired & wireless. Now I tried Ubuntu & Backtrack linux. I did the same config for each machine with the same result, I could not get the mouse to work. not sure what the problem was but i am knew to using VM’s.

If you haven’t started using virtual machines yet then you're missing the boat. Virtual machines generate a virtual computer with in your computer. You can configure how much memory you use & how much of your hard drive you require. This great because if you're walking Windows XP then you can check out Vista while XP is still walking. The virtual machines act as real computer receiving their own ip address & you can use them a servers. This helps double the power of your hardware. Virtual machines do suck up a lot of memory so you will need at least a gig of memory.

Vmware has plenty of tools for you to generate & configure your VM but the draw back is that they are not free. Virtual computer 2007 is free but it appears to have less functionality for linux. Try it out & double the power of your computer today.

Now I decided to try Vmwares Vmplayer, I soon discovered you need to generate a virtual machine for the player. So through some web research I discovered you can do this freely through the easy vmx web-site, type in easy vmx in google choose the elementary three. I chose the generic linux OS & then typed in the name of the ISO picture, the first six was Backtrack. You need to place that ISO in the same folder that the vmx file is located. So after that was completed I started my virtual machine & every thing worked except the wireless card. Now this is probably because of me being a newbie & not knowing how to install a wireless card on the VM. I had the same result with Ubuntu & Damm Small linux.