PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 BORKED

sammorxman
April 28th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hello All (forgive my meandering, but I like to give detail)
Last time Ubuntu 8.10 downloaded package upgrades it offered to upgrade to 9.04. Sure, why not!

I did the download at night and it took a good while.
At this point Firefox informed me that it needed a restart to complete an upgrade (which must have kicked in concurrently with my other work), so I did.

After rebooting I continued the upgrade (I believe it was stopped, waiting for input from me). When the upgrade said it was done it rebooted. That is when the "fun" started.

Ubuntu 9.04 boots to a black screen except for a 1/4" stripe across the top, a dark color with fuchsia dots and lines in it. Just below that a string of the word UBUNTU along with the circle and 3 balls symbol are repeated closely across the screen
along with random long green lines underneath.

No response from kbd, except if I do the 3 finger salute rapidly and repetitively; Ubuntu will shutdown 'normally'. Other times I have to force a reboot with the on/off button.

I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit running dual boot on an HP pavilion dv7-1135nr. 250 GB HD, 4 GB memory AMD Turion X2 64, ATI radeon 3200.

This machine ran flawlessly with 8.10 so ... wtf???:confused:

I did put a CD with 9.04 in and booted just to the CD
That booted just fine. But there is no option to repair a botched upgrade, at least that I can see

You can answer me here but please send a copy to sammorxman@yahoo.com as well.

Thank you so much for your patience reading all this.