PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Evolution after upgrade

Iosys
April 28th, 2009, 03:05 AM
After upgrading to Jaunty, Evolution Email constantly hangs up after being minimized in the background with the "fetching email" display still going at the bottom. It will not close out without being forced through System Monitor "End Process." It always worked fine with 8.10, so it must be something to do with the upgrade. Any ideas? Is there a newer update for Evolution as well that I'm not aware of possibly?

LashSilence83
April 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm experiencing the exact same thing, only I'm running a fresh install of 9.04 amd64 instead of having upgraded. It gets extremely annoying because if I don't maximize the window occasionally to check on it, I won't know exactly when it's hanging up and I won't get my mail when I'm supposed to.

Iosys
April 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I installed Mozilla's Thunderbird and it's working fine. It's a shame because I liked Evolution but Thunderbird seems pretty cool too.

LashSilence83
April 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I was trying to avoid switching to another program (not that it's that big of a deal I suppose), but this issue isn't really something I can live with.

oyvinst
May 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I hear you all. I've been using Evolution for many Ubuntu releases, but it has become more and more bloated and unstable. Evolution in Jaunty is simply bloody annoying. It likes to hang all the time and is one of the most unstable applications I use regularly. <sarcasm>The irony of its name is becoming more and more evident. I would suggest renaming to Devolution.</sarcasm>

On a more constructive note, I'm always getting loads of libecal-errors in ~/.xsession-errors (I subscribe to a Lotus Notes-exported ical-file at work). Perhaps that is related to the hangs I'm seeing. But without proper calendar support I might as well switch to Thunderbird or even go back to mutt or GNUS, which I used many years ago. Don't really want that.