PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [Firmware Bug] powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSS objects

ea185028
April 28th, 2009, 02:27 AM
[Firmware Bug] powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSS objects in a way that Linux understands. Please report this to the Linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your bios vendor

My current System Configuration is:

Dual Vid Cards - GeForce 8600GT 680M 256MB DDR3 PCIEXXX
Motherboard - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
2x - OCZ 1GB DDR800

After installing Hardware Drivers for NVIDIA (180) it prompted me to restart.. So I did.

Then after that it gave me this error.

Is there anything I can do to get through this, or are there any fixes for this?

I'm a totally complete Ubuntu newbie so, detailed step by step instructions are very much appreciated.. Thank YOU

cariboo
April 28th, 2009, 03:11 AM
It's a problem with the BIOS, I have the same problem, I went through trying to repair the problem with one of the kernel devs, in the end the only solution was to update the bios and complain to my motherboard manufacturer. I still have the problem, but except for waiting an extra second for the message to display every thing works as it should.

I suggest you do a bios update.

Omega_Spectral
April 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
same problem over here. I installed the "latest" bios from ASUS (idiots) and still no fix

kulight
June 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
i have the same issue with an msi board...

mkramer
July 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Same issue here. Asus M2N SLI Deluxe. I upgraded to the latest BIOS from their website. (1701). Ubuntu 7 and 8 worked great. The ubuntu 9 live CD doesn't work at all (install, live trial, and disc verify give the same error).

Considering that 7 and 8 work, is it certainly a firmware error?

RJARRRPCGP
July 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
This looks like the kernel may be broken!

Because that shall never occur with a motherboard that was out before 9.04!

And I don't have this problem with my Asus P5QL Pro.

It don't look like the M2N series is newer than the P5Q series.

mkramer
July 3rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
I resolved this by enabling Cool 'N Quiet in the BIOS, which made the _PSS tables available to Linux. (However, I ran into another hardware problem and gave up with the install. :))

Incitecite
July 18th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I ran into this exact same problem as well after I installed and updated jaunty. I was able to get it to boot once with kernel 2.6.28-11. I haven't been able to get it to boot again though. Kernel 2.6.28-13, which I think was installed when I ran the updater, hasn't successfully loaded once though.

My system is:

AMD 3800+ X2 @ 2Ghz
2Gb DDR400 RAM
Epox 9NPA+SLi Mobo
2 EvGa 7800GT's in SLI
Seagate 160Gb EIDE HDD
WD Caviar 500Gb HDD

I've been reading this is a BIOS issue. I have the latest BIOS for my mobo, but they were released in 2006 :/

I also read somewhere that this was fixed with a newer Kernel? Won't do much good If I can't boot into Ubuntu though. Every time I try to load it gives me the aforementioned error and a console. I really hope there's a fix to this...

couzin2000
July 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I resolved this by enabling Cool 'N Quiet in the BIOS, which made the _PSS tables available to Linux. (However, I ran into another hardware problem and gave up with the install. :))

Same thing for me - enabled Cool 'N Quiet, and the problem disappeared.

(Now if I could only get my Nvidia card to work...)

swordfishRU
August 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
With Asus M2N-MX SE Plus mainboard the problem was in MCP61 ACPI HPET TABLE setting. You've to disable this function.

talishka
September 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Well, it's true if you active Cool'n'Quiet the error goes away. I just did it ant it works.
Before doing this i was havin some other issues, suddenly after a few hours i started to have I/O errors and then the file system becomes read only.

I suspect this is a hardware problem, i've already tested with 4 sata harddrivers, and updated to the latest bios (m2n68-am se2 0901) and still happens.

I'll gonna try to change the motherboard and the power.