PDA

View Full Version : What was preinstalled on your main home computer?

aysiu
April 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I know a lot of Ubuntu Forum members have multiple computers, so "main home computer" is whatever computer you spend the most time using outside of work. If you work from home and use the same computer for home and work, then obviously that's your main home computer.

Just pick the most appropriate poll response. If none of the responses approximate your situation, pick Other and then explain your situation in a reply to this thread.

Thanks!

|Mitch|
April 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I built my computer, so nothing was pre-installed.

Chemical Imbalance
April 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I built my computer, so nothing was pre-installed.

Same here.

kk0sse54
April 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Win XP

xuCGC002
April 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
It had Windows XP "Home edition" (eww) which I replaced with ubuntu at the beginning of this year. I used Xubuntu on my laptop before that for about 3 years.

aysiu
April 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I bought a netbook (which, yes, is my main computer) with Xandros Linux preinstalled. I wiped it out and replaced it with Ubuntu.

Before that, I had a Dell Inspiron laptop (which I gave to a friend). It came with XP, which I replaced with Ubuntu, but eventually put back on for my friend.

lisati
April 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Older desktop: Win98SE was preinstalled, as was a copy of Sun's StarOffice.

Newer desktop: Came with XP, now has a dual boot XP & Jaunty (Considering turning into a server, when I get round to it.)

Older laptop: came with XP, currently has Intrepid, with Xubuntu desktop added.

Newer laptop: Vista Home Preimum preinstalled, now dual boot Vista & Interpid.

EDIT:Both copies of XP are XP Home

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 28th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Bought both my desktops without any os. Bought my laptop also without an os. EEE came with XP. killed it the very same day, and put ubuntu on it and used it for a few days, before going to gentoo, arch, and finally Lunar.

Have a few more old machines, which i got from my friends and my work place. the machines from my friends ran windows 2000 when i got them. machines from work ran solaris.

Wiebelhaus
April 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I roll custom , I'm extremely anal retentive and I like things my way , so I haver to do it myself. Period.

k2t0f12d
April 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
No OS, bare metal. Put Fedora 11 on that recently.

FuturePilot
April 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
My laptop came with Vista Home Premium. I ended up setting up a dual boot with it mainly because the updates for my BIOS are only available via WinFlash and on the off chance that I might actually need to use Windows for something. Otherwise it's on a very small partition and I rarely ever use it.

will1911a1
April 28th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Nothing. I bought the parts, put it together, and installed the OS myself.

dragos240
April 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I selected other, because we have multiple computers that we use equally, there is no 'main' computer. 3 computers were preinstalled with xp and one was preinstalled with vista, I replaced all with linux.

sgosnell
April 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM
It came with Lindows, an old Linux variant that tried to look like Windows. I removed it and installed Windows 98, and later XP. The sound never worked at all under Windows, and I never used it all that much. I finally installed Ubuntu, and the sound works fine. I still don't use it a lot, because I prefer my EEE 900. I still have XP on the desktop, dual-boot, just in case, but I rarely turn it on. Desktops are so last century. :D

Icehuck
April 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
My main machine is a HP Laptop which came with Vista Home Premium. It now only has Ubuntu on it. My desktop(self built) which I barely use has a dual boot of Arch and XP.

.Maleficus.
April 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
None on my computer, I've built my last three. However...

One of my servers came from my dad's work with XP Pro on it. It's now running Arch, after running Arch, Gentoo, FreeBSD, NetBSD and maybe one more but I can't remember.

My mom's main computer came with Vista.

CharmyBee
April 28th, 2009, 03:23 AM
My last OEM desktop computer was a 1991 computer loaded with DOS and Geoworks Ensemble. It even had an AOL trial ready to go.

jowilkin
April 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I bought my main computer in 2000 (as separate parts with no OS) and have been upgrading the parts and OS since then.

So I chose no OS.

My computers I've gotten from work mostly come with no OS (the servers). My work laptop came with Vista which was wiped and Arch Linux installed. Work desktop came with XP which was wiped and Ubuntu installed.

swoll1980
April 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Mine came with XP pro which I dual boot with Jaunty.

Redundant Username
April 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM
My desktop came with Vista Basic preinstalled I'm dual booting Jaunty though a virtual partition(wubi installed).

OutOfReach
April 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Built mine so technically no OS preinstalled

TheNosh
April 28th, 2009, 04:37 AM
mine came with vista wich i promplty partitioned into the darkest corner of the hard drive never to be spoken of again... so it's still there, but is it technically dual booting if one OS never gets booted? cause i have yet to find the need to boot it even once cause i can do everything i need in ubuntu

LookTJ
April 28th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I use my laptop, which is my one and only computer I own for now. I had Windows XP Pro on it and replaced it with Linux(Ubuntu 6.06) at the end of June that release month. Had Windows since November 2005 until the day I installed Linux which was June 2006.

SomeGuyDude
April 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Vista. Good times while I kept it.

spcwingo
April 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Another home-builder here. :) So, no OS pre-installed.

unoodles
April 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Inspiron 1420n from dell. Preinstalled with Ubuntu 7.04.

DougieFresh4U
April 28th, 2009, 05:53 AM
"Home-made"
Triple boot - Win 7, Jaunty and Karmic-test

Dr. C
April 28th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Home built last year with Ubuntu 8.04 in mind.

coutts99
April 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Vista which didn't even get booted, slapped Linux straight on :)

cmay
April 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM
just two month ago it would have been no OS installed but i got a new laptop which had vista i did not even see before i installed ubuntu on it.

ZankerH
April 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Self-built here.

itsStephen
April 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I built my computer

My free Kubuntu disc conveniently came the same day as the parts too!

wersdaluv
April 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Nothing but it was packaged with a Knoppix live DVD.

mobilediesel
April 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I bought a computer in 1996 or 1997. It had Windows 3.11 on it. Over the years I've replaced 2 or 3 parts at a time and upgraded the OS a few times with the latest upgrade to Xubuntu 8.04.

Does it even count as the same computer anymore when all the parts, including the case, have been replaced? It kinda doesn't seem like it since I never actually bought a second computer. Only a couple parts at a time.

jespdj
April 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Desktop computer: Built it myself, but I bought Windows XP with it when I bought the parts, which I later upgraded to Windows Vista.

Laptop: Came with Windows Vista, which is still on it (dual boot), but I use Ubuntu almost exclusively on my laptop.

Netbook: Came with Windows XP (Dell sells the Mini 9 with Ubuntu, but not here in the Netherlands!). I deleted Windows XP and have Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on it.

ghindo
May 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I bought a Dell laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled.

I've reformatted a few times, but have always used Linux, and have always come back to Ubuntu.

I'm not entirely sure if I would buy another computer specifically because it comes with Linux on it, as I know I can get better hardware if I buy a computer with Windows. We'll see when the time comes.

Brainy142
May 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I'm buying a dual core barebone probably so soon it will be my OWN computer :D.

ezsit
May 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I built my own, so no OS preinstalled. I installed Hardy on the living room computer and Intrepid on my computer in the bedroom. I tried Jaunty for a few minutes liveCD and realized there was nothing there tempting me to upgrade from the current setups. I'll see what happens when Koala comes out, maybe I'll upgrade then.

oldos2er
May 5th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Linux, which I kept (or replaced with another distro)

I bought a Dell XPS 410 with Ubuntu 7.04 preinstalled. I've kept Ubuntu updated, and I also have installed other Linux distros from time to time.

ssam
May 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM
bought a desktop from DNUK, with linux preinstalled (they have a choice of distros)

aktiwers
May 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM
i built my computer, so nothing was pre-installed.
+1