PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] I messed up- laptop ran out of battery during update to 9.04

ajhodges8
April 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I decided to update to 9.04 on my laptop, and while it was downloading I closed the lid and put it to the side (I had well over an hour of battery life) telling myself I'd check back in a few minutes.
Then I forgot about it.
When I realized what I had done, the laptop was already out of battery (i was too lazy to plug it in, the cord was in my backpack) and I was fearing turning it on because I knew that some point in the installation a prompt probably came up and just sat there, and then the power cut off thus screwing my installation.

So I booted it up, GRUB was slow to load but I was able to load xubuntu, and the new login screen came up, I put in my info... and then the screen just went blank to the background color, and it said that the desktop environment couldn't be loaded.

So is there anyway I can fix this without having to reinstall completely? Will I lose my files? I program using gcc/g++ and I have my projects backed up elsewhere but it would still be nice to not have to set everything back up the way I like it again.

I'm still somewhat of a linux n00b so I would appreciate a little bit of help.

Thanks!

p.s. no need to tell me I'm an idiot for not plugging my laptop in, I already know.

abn91c
April 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I decided to update to 9.04 on my laptop, and while it was downloading I closed the lid and put it to the side (I had well over an hour of battery life) telling myself I'd check back in a few minutes.
Then I forgot about it.
When I realized what I had done, the laptop was already out of battery (i was too lazy to plug it in, the cord was in my backpack) and I was fearing turning it on because I knew that some point in the installation a prompt probably came up and just sat there, and then the power cut off thus screwing my installation.

So I booted it up, GRUB was slow to load but I was able to load xubuntu, and the new login screen came up, I put in my info... and then the screen just went blank to the background color, and it said that the desktop environment couldn't be loaded.

So is there anyway I can fix this without having to reinstall completely? Will I lose my files? I program using gcc/g++ and I have my projects backed up elsewhere but it would still be nice to not have to set everything back up the way I like it again.

I'm still somewhat of a linux n00b so I would appreciate a little bit of help.

Thanks!

p.s. no need to tell me I'm an idiot for not plugging my laptop in, I already know.
connect laptop by wire to network, reboot to recovery mode, if you cant get to the desktop at the command prompt type sudo dhclient eth0 to "activate" the network, then sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

ajhodges8
April 28th, 2009, 12:30 AM
thank you! I tried to do an update and it said I needed to run sudo dpkg --configure -a first.
once that was done, everything was already updated (apt-get dist-upgrade didn't install anything) and I tried rebooting and it works great now.

thanks again! :D

abn91c
April 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Welcome :popcorn: