PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] ctrl-c in xterm

rijen
April 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I installed 9.04 and have the following problem:
While in a xterm, on the commandline, pressing ctrl-c generates a new line, but does not terminate the xterm (as expected).
when I start an application in the xterm, pressing ctrl-c not only terminates that program but also the xterm!
How do I prevent the xterm from terminating too?

kerry_s
April 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
program-name &

but why don't you just use alt+f2 if you want to run a program, it will even remember what you ran to save you typing, just use the up arrow key.

rijen
April 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM
program-name &

but why don't you just use alt+f2 if you want to run a program, it will even remember what you ran to save you typing, just use the up arrow key.

Thnx for your response, I will try the &
I thought it ment that the program will be started in the background, but it is shows info on the console.
It is existing software that start 3 xterm windows, that runs as expected under OpenSuse

rijen
April 27th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Thnx for your response, I will try the &
I thought it ment that the program will be started in the background, but it is shows info on the console.
It is existing software that start 3 xterm windows, that runs as expected under OpenSuse

The ampersand does not work. xterm terminates anyway :(

kerry_s
April 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
so why can't you use alt+f2? it's a lot easier.

anyway's i have my coffee now, so try this:

launch your program with "&" on the end> program-name &
now you need the job number, type> jobs
now you need to disown it> disown %#

see pic:

Locutus_of_Borg
April 28th, 2009, 01:30 AM
that should not be happening

is there any output if you open an xterm from another xterm and press ctrl-C in the second one?