View Full Version : Weird Story

April 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
True Story!!

My girlfriends pc is ancient... Reeeaaallly old, from like 1999 (ok, it's not THAT old), still.. 10 years!!
So, I installed Windows Xp on it because I nowadays nothing runs on Windows 98 and my girlfriend and her family doesn't have the pacience to learn to use linux OS' (so no trace of linux whatsoever on the pc). So It ran really bad, with its 850 mghz amd processor and 160+mb ram.

But here's the story, recently my girlfriend has complained of her PC not booting up, but since I am out of town and couldn't do anything about it, I mentioned the fact to my father; he, being the good "father-in-law" that he is, told my younger brother to go fix it for her.
My brother is rather good at fixing pcs but rather lazy, so he didn't try very hard. Result: it didn't get fixed.
But to my suprise I found my girlfriend telling me the other day that her father twidled with it a bit and fixed it. To me that was rather strange because her father only knows how to use the Office based programs and firefox. But nevertheless I found it to be good news because then I didn't have to go fix it later. But the climax of the story came when I asked my brother what happened and he told me that he forgot his cd case on my girlfriends house and my girlfriend's father found the cd case, took an Ubuntu 8.10 live cd out of it, put it in the pc, turned it on and went to sleep without doing anything, the other morning woke up, took out the cd and rebooted the pc to find that the pc started working again. Explain THAT!

That's ubuntu for you... Fixing the pc even when it's not asked to.

April 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe some firmware got reset. Stories like this have been posted here before.

April 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Magic. Ubuntu Magic.:guitar:

April 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Wow that's crazy!:lolflag: