PDA

View Full Version : Best photoshop alternative.

And1945
April 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to ask which program/application you guys think bears the closest resemblance to photoshop. I tried working around in gimp, but the layout is just to unlogic for me. 3 windows? I would like to say that I tried all the programs, if I had, I would not be asking here, would i?

would the closest to photoshop be GimpShop? And, is that an addon to gimp or what? the website does not really specify.

Thanks in advance.

james.paige
April 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
This might help you with gimp :)

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/03/8-handy-tweaks-to-make-gimp-replace-photoshop/

Tibuda
April 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You just got used to Photoshop. GIMP is a lot logical in a document-centric environment.

There are features in Photoshop you'll not find in any other editor, but not everybody needs them. GIMP is very powerful, and fits my needs very well. It depends on what you work on.

mips
April 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Gimpshop (http://www.gimpshop.com/) has it's menus layed out in Photoshop fashion, http://www.gimpshop.com/

GIMPshop is a modification of the free/open source GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop. Its primary purpose is to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP.
It shares all GIMP's advantages, including the long feature list and customisability, while addressing some common criticisms regarding the program's interface: GIMPshop modifies the menu structure to closely match Photoshop's, adjusts the program's terminology to match Adobe's, and, in the Windows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows) version, uses a plugin called 'Deweirdifier' to combine the application's numerous windows in a similar manner to the MDI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface) system used by most Windows graphics packages. While GIMPshop does not support Photoshop plugins, all GIMP's own plugins, filters, brushes, etc. remain available.

Gimpshop is not a addon for gimp, it is a standalone application but stays compatible with gimp.

And1945
April 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Oki dokes then. The only linux way, is the gimp way, I can understand.

GimpShop it is!

Thanks!

hanzomon4
April 28th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I'm sorry but the gimp will not do for anyone even remotely familiar with Photoshop. The biggest glaring issue I see is no adjustment layers!. I'd say wait until gimp is properly gegl-ed. Then it will be on more equal footing to photoshop. The interface is fine, it's all about functionality now.

cariboo
April 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
@And1945

You are going to have to edit you sig, :) as Ctrl-Alt-Backspace has been diabled upstream, and no longer works in Jaunty. You can use dontzap which is in the repositories to enable it again.

chucky chuckaluck
April 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM
i know there are some graphic artists who find gimp lacking, but if all you're doing is putting the heads of your buddies on the bodies of ladyboys, gimp'll do.

And1945
April 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
@And1945

You are going to have to edit you sig, :) as Ctrl-Alt-Backspace has been diabled upstream, and no longer works in Jaunty. You can use dontzap which is in the repositories to enable it again.

Yes, I know... I found out yesterday.

i know there are some graphic artists who find gimp lacking, but if all you're doing is putting the heads of your buddies on the bodies of ladyboys, gimp'll do.

Nah, not really... I am supposed to use it for designing websites.

Tibuda
April 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Nah, not really... I am supposed to use it for designing websites.
That's what I do.

Pasdar
April 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm too used to Photoshop, I use it with Wine. v7 and CS work just as well as they do under windows, and I've heard so does CS2. I use v7.

darthmob
April 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
did you try using a virtual machine for running photoshop? the seamless mode of virtualbox makes it possible to only show the running application (it looks like you are running the application in ubuntu as the rest of the windows desktop is hidden).

And1945
April 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM
That's what I do.

Hmm, gimp it is, if I cant get my cs3 to work in wine.

I'm too used to Photoshop, I use it with Wine. v7 and CS work just as well as they do under windows, and I've heard so does CS2. I use v7.

Up to cs3 should work with the newest wine, accordingly to winhq's database.

did you try using a virtual machine for running photoshop? the seamless mode of virtualbox makes it possible to only show the running application (it looks like you are running the application in ubuntu as the rest of the windows desktop is hidden).

You mean vmware? Or is there something called virtualbox?

Old Marcus
April 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
http://www.virtualbox.org/

And1945
April 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.virtualbox.org/

And this is like virtual pc and vmware?

Pasdar
April 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Why would I use a virtual environment for it? You can just insert the CD/Mount ISO, right click on setup.exe, 'run with wine', install it like on windows and then run it from the link like on windows. There are only three differences I've noticed with the one on windows:
1. You can not double click on a photo file in nautilous to automatically make it open in photoshop, even if you right click/open with, it still will not open the file.
2. When you select a tool from the left which is a second/third tool under the main one... after you save the file, it will jump back to the main tool, so you have to again right click select.
3. In windows the whole content of the photo window is shown when being moved, but with wine you only see the window outlines when moving. This is probably done to keep the load on wine lower. It's also like this in Windows when you have your OS set to max. performance mode.

None of these differences bother me. With the old wine it used to show weird stripes and images from the previous screen when loading up, but that's gone.

And1945
April 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hmm... the most effective thing right now, seems to be to try and install photoshop cs3 thru wine... otherwise it has to be virtual box. If that doesnt happen, its the gimp.

Thanks guys.

Tibuda
April 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
And this is like virtual pc and vmware?

Yes, but I think VirtualBox is easier to setup than VMWare. Virtualization is a very important tool for a webdesigner, because it allows you to test your layouts in multiple browsers and screen resolutions in the same environment.

Pasdar
April 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I tried to install CS3, but it didn't run the setup file. People who say they're running it must be using an alternative method.

chucky chuckaluck
April 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I am supposed to use it for designing websites.

have you checked out krita (it may come bundled with koffice for ubuntu)?
http://www.koffice.org/krita/

hanzomon4
April 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
have you checked out krita (it may come bundled with koffice for ubuntu)?
http://www.koffice.org/krita/

This sounds good

Saint Angeles
April 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM
even when i used windows and had a fully licensed copy of photoshop, i would always prefer using GIMP. the main reason: SCRIPT-FU!

man, those logos you can make with a single click of a button are freakin amazing. also, and this is probably just psychological, i always thought my work on GIMP looked better than my work on photoshop.

i've been designing websites for 10 years or so now (damn, i must be getting old) and i've learned that GIMP is one of my best friends. in fact, since most of my friends because total a-holes after graduating high-school, GIMP might be my #1 best friend!

Bölvağur
April 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Try design the look of a website through inkscape.
for me it has worked quite well in the past for this kind of jobs.

MRiGnS
April 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
You shouldn't use either one of them for webdesign. That's not really what those programs are meant for in the first place.

You're only crippling yourself with those.

I think you should take in consideration getting Adobe Illustrator or as an Open Source alternative Inkscape. It's in the repos and otherwise available at www.inkscape.org

Spiritous
April 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Gimp!!!

Saint Angeles
April 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM
You shouldn't use either one of them for webdesign. That's not really what those programs are meant for in the first place.

You're only crippling yourself with those.

I think you should take in consideration getting Adobe Illustrator or as an Open Source alternative Inkscape. It's in the repos and otherwise available at www.inkscape.org (http://www.inkscape.org)
wow... where are you getting your information? Why are there options like "create web page theme" and "create logo", "create button"... all on GIMP. there are options like "save for web"... did you know that the RGB colorspace is mainly for creating images that will be posted on the web? did you know that when you select colors, it gives you the hexadecimal value for the color (used on webpages)?

did you know there are more .jpgs, .pngs, and .gifs on the internet than .svgs?

photoshop is THE most used application for creating web graphics and GIMP is the best linux alternative.

darthmob
April 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Why would I use a virtual environment for it?because wine can be a real bitch when it comes to some applications. the last time I checked you were not able to run newer photoshop versions with it.
virtual machines are easy to set up and use - wine isn't in many cases. the only real advantage of wine is performance in my opinion.

Mistrblank
April 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
photoshop is THE most used application for creating web graphics and GIMP is the best linux alternative.

There is an implication that "most used" means "best use" that I don't like here.

Ascenti0n
April 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I really should have a a template response ready for every time this question comes up (not a reflection on the OP).

1. Photoshop is THE most widely used photo editing app, in the commercial environment.

2. GIMP is perfectly usable for the non-professional

3. GIMP has many shortfall that only apply if you are a professional and produce work for print, or you wish to work in a colour depth more than 8bits, layer masks, layer folders etc

4. for very casual image manipulation, free apps like Picasa and Digikam etc can be used for common photo editing needs such as, cropping, resizing, red eye removal and adding effects.

You simply need to be true to yourself as to what YOUR needs really are, then pick one the appropriate apps from the list above.

Sorted!!

UbuWu
April 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Gimphoto (http://www.gimphoto.com/) is a pretty good alternative if you come from photoshop.

Ascenti0n
April 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM
gimphoto is based on an old 2.4 version of GIMP, which is now 2.6.x

NightwishFan
April 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
My problem with photoshop is that so many people praise it that did not actually purchase it.

I would have to say try gimp or krita (in beta currently) though.

GIMP is a marvelous piece of software, I would say give it a try, and see if something actually cannot be done. You just might have to do it differently.

And1945
April 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
The thing is, I like to work in layers. So that pretty much leaves gimp and cinepaint.

growled
April 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Doesn't krita still use layers?

paullinux
April 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
With the "layer effects" plugin installed I'm quite happy with the Gimp. But Photoshop 3 is better, but so is the price...

pointyblufish
April 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
My problem with photoshop is that so many people praise it that did not actually purchase it.

Adobe Photoshop is a professional tool. Unfortunately, it's also arguably the best pro-amateur tool. People that make money from photography or design can write off Photoshop as a work expense. The rest of us have a difficult moral/financial decision to make regarding what is already a very expensive hobby.

I choose FOSS over piracy, but FOSS sure has a long way to go before it catches up in features, ease of use, and documentation.

Ascenti0n
April 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The rest of us have a difficult moral/financial decision to make

there is no moral difficulty here at all. If you haven't got the money, you can't use it. Anything else is theft.

Can you just imaging the thief before the judge and he says, "I was walking down the road minding my own business, when I saw this beautiful Astin Martin DB5. Judge, you can't blame me, I had a war with my conscience, if that makes any difference" :confused:

Namtabmai
April 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
there is no moral difficulty here at all. If you haven't got the money, you can't use it. Anything else is theft.

Exactly. If you are a hobby photographer and you absolutely need Photoshop, then Photoshop is part of your budget as much as the camera is. If you can't afford Photoshop but need it to be able to work why spend money only on the camera you won't be able to use with out it?

Ticketoride
April 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry but the gimp will not do for anyone even remotely familiar with Photoshop. The biggest glaring issue I see is no adjustment layers!. I'd say wait until gimp is properly gegl-ed. Then it will be on more equal footing to photoshop. The interface is fine, it's all about functionality now.
That's pretty dead on. Many People are just happy to have a Photo Editor such as Gimp which often beyond their Skill and Knowledge to compare this Linux Flagship to other Professional High-End Products.

They don't know virtually all Professional as well as high-end Photography is shot in RAW Modes, and Gimp has nothing whatsoever that could even render such an Image accurately, never mind anything that would even pass for Publishing.

You get the best Perspective on this after you learn the Ins & Outs of Professional Graphic Apps such as Photoshop, and then compare Gimp to them.

Its one Thing for you to edit your JPG & TIFS, quite another for real Photography.

koshatnik
April 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Exactly. If you are a hobby photographer and you absolutely need Photoshop, then Photoshop is part of your budget as much as the camera is. If you can't afford Photoshop but need it to be able to work why spend money only on the camera you won't be able to use with out it?

I'm a pro photographer and never use Photoshop. Never bought it, never open a photo in it in 4 years. Layers are a pain in the *** to use, and ancient technology. Photoshop needs a major update. Nikons Capture NX software is far more powerful and useful as a photographic tool than PS, as is LightZone.

The thought of adjusting a photo in PS makes me want to weep.

forrestcupp
April 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
This might help you with gimp :)

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/03/8-handy-tweaks-to-make-gimp-replace-photoshop/Thank you! That's a great resource.

For those of you complaining about GEGL, layers, and CMYK color separation, please read this tutorial. It's possible to do all that stuff in the latest version of Gimp. You can even use all of your Photoshop plugins.

NightwishFan
April 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
GIMP is simple and convenient, open source, and 64-bit on my machine.

Photoshop is expensive, proprietary, and getting plug-ins is more often commerce than programming. Otherwise, I like it. Like I said, I really only dislike it because enough people steal it for image editing to be commonly called "photoshopping". I would feel bad for Adobe, except its already free advertising.