PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can someone please explain NetworkManager applet after 9.04 upgrade?

pcskibum
April 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Upgraded two 8.10 machines to 9.04 over the weekend. Both upgrades went smoothly and things seem to be running properly, including my Internet access.

However, both machines now have a NetworkManager applet on the top of the screen. I assume this is a new standard for configuring and managing networks. On both machines the applet icon has a red X, and floating the mouse over it shows "Networking disabled." But my Internet connection (wired on both machines) seems to be working properly.

When I right-click the applet the "Enable Networking" box is checked.

Picking "Edit Connections" shows that I have no connections. I have tried many times to add a connection, but after filling out the forms many times nothing gets added.

Selecting from the menus System/Preferences/Network Connections, brings up the same configuration pages as the picking "Edit Connections" from the applet. Again, no connections are listed and it won't let me add any.

What am I missing here? Did my upgrade to 9.04 not complete properly? Did I miss a step in the upgrade process? How do I get this new NetworkManager thing working?

cariboo
April 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Instead of editing the connection, try adding a connection.