PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu Cube - Worthless - WTH!?

dsg536
April 27th, 2009, 07:37 PM
At a friend's recommendation, I just spent the day backing up my Gnome-based Ubuntu system and installing Kubuntu (9.04).

I've never been so mad.

1) The desktop cube is enabled and working - but I have to click on the desktop switcher panel in order to get the cube to rotate. How do I enable the easier CTRL+ALT+LEFT/RIGHT?

2) Even if I can get the easy rotate, I still get the same windows crammed into the taskbar on all workspaces. This is effectively one workspace - why even bother with the cube at all if you can't segregate the windows from the workspaces. How do I fix this?

3) Themes - I really want to change the horrid window theme that is installed with Kubuntu 9.04. But every last detail seems to have a "theme" in and of itself. How do I just change the window theme? I have downloaded all sorts of stuff from KDE-look.org and nothing is recognized by KDE. As I understand it, KDE is now allowing discrete themes for "desktop" as well as other things - but nobody seems to indicate how to differentiate or even install the variances.

For example, I have a Kubuntu 9.04 system. I would like to install this "theme (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/DarkDefault?content=103455)". When I click on DOWNLOAD, I am simply given the text download of the theme contents. When I right-click-download, the file does not appear to be installable - nor is it recognized by any of the utilities that allow me to modify the appearance of KDE.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................

I have never been so angry at software in my life. This is maddening. The folks who make KDE should be ashamed - even Microsoft would not accept this sort of idiocy.

I am ready to go buy Vista - it really seems worth it after an entire wasted day. Someone PLEASE HELP me salvage this mess.