PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] 9.04 lost window decorations - ATI 780G

DeltaZero
April 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi guys,
I'm running ATI 780G system and I am having some problems with the new 9.04 (8.10 before it ran just fine). When Gnome starts, I do not have any window decorations. I need to go to "Appearance" and set visual effects to "Normal", then the window decorations appear. However on the next startup my visual effects are back to "None" and no window decorations again. It does not matter if I set it to "None" by myself before shutting down - doesn't help.

I am using ATI FGLRX driver. I do not use any visual effects really, so "None" is my normal setting, and I could potentially use the open source driver. However if I remove FGLRX, the problem does not disappear. I am using 24" wide monitor @1920x1200.

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Any idea what could be the problem?
Thanks!

DeltaZero
April 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Update:

I have checked, and xorg.config looks the same as I used in 8.10.
I have uninstalled all compiz packages, but the problem persists.
What does work is if I do "metacity --replace" in a terminal window, but when I close that terminal the window manager gets messed up again.

jacek2v
May 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I have these same problem (nvidia graphics card).

On new created on 9.04 user is ok. I think it's problem in user configuration files.

alexandreracine
May 4th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I have the same problem with nvidia, but this seems user oriented since using a new user works properly.

So what would be the solution?

Did any of you used the janitor?

SilverLoz
May 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I have the same problem (using an nVidia card). I have reported a bug in launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/371585 quoting this thread

m_t
May 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hello,

I've got similar problem in 9.04 UNR on ASUS EEE 1000H:
if I switch from netbook desktop to classical Ubuntu desktop and reboot I lose window decoration and must start gnome-wm and gnome-panel manually. But after reboot I get blank screen with only a wallpaper again.

It is possible, though, to get back working 'out-of-the-box' netbook desktop theme by removing gnome-related configs in the user home folder.

Hope someone can help to solve the issue, since it is not very convenient to stay in netbook-style view with external monitor connected.

alexandreracine
May 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM
The solution is here

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/371585

jacek2v
May 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM
The solution is here

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/371585

Thanks it's working for me.

Leighman
November 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Deleting the gconf xml file seems to have worked for me Karmic