PDA

View Full Version : Challange for all the bored out there!!!!!!!!!

kuniyori
April 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I have a challenge to all of you that are bored out there!!! I have an old Dell Lattitude CPi P2 266Mhz with 32 megs of ram and a 6GB HDD.

(Here's the challange part!! :P) I'm looking for some way (without upgrading the specs[-X, this bits important!!) to run multiple versions of FreeDOS in some form of emulator or legacy virtual machine on the system.

It doesn't matter what the host OS is as long as I can get it running comfortably with multiple dos guests on it. The person who can help me achieve this can declare himself or herself the king or queen (this might even apply to some men!! :D) of legacy systems!!!\\:D/

Let the Googling commence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kareeser
April 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Damn Small Linux? :P

kuniyori
April 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
doesnt work on that laptop last time i checked. Plus you have to give a bit more detail than that!!! DETAIL!!! Nice try though. Also Puppy linux doesnt run on the laptop. Happy hunting!

MaxIBoy
April 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Try running them in the Bochs emulator. On that computer, you'll get maybe 1 Mega Instructions Per Second out of Bochs (a 286 had about 2.66 MIPS,) but the system requirements to run it are low.

benj1
April 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
i a 32mb 266mhz even capable of running multiple instances of freedos in a virtual machine???

have you tried tiny core linux, its another ultra lightweight distro

kuniyori
April 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
yep!!! freedos requirements are extreemly low even when compared to this spec system.
looking into bochs at the moment. ill keep everyone posted. Keep the ideas commin in though!!!!

Thelasko
April 27th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Do you need a GUI?

kuniyori
April 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
It would be helpful, access through vnc or similer is ok too.

LowSky
April 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
according to this debian will work, so will gentoo and slackware.
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

you issue is trying to run any virtual server, at least thats my thought

kuniyori
April 28th, 2009, 01:33 AM
according to this debian will work, so will gentoo and slackware.
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

you issue is trying to run any virtual server, at least thats my thought
nope problem with ram and drivers. :D keep digging lads!!!!

MaxIBoy
April 28th, 2009, 05:08 AM
You could always use Freedos as the Host OS, Bochs will run fine on it.