PDA

View Full Version : does anyone use Evolution as a serious PIM?

Ascenti0n
April 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone

I've used MS Outlook 98-2003, Thunderbird on WinXP and Linux(s). I've tried both Evolution and Kontact (KDE) too. I like Thunderbird, but I need calendar and tasks to be well integrated and Thunderbirds' lightning add-on, just doesn't cut the mustard, especially when data is lost on upgrading (despite hidden folder being backed up and restored).

So, I'm looking again for an integrated PIM that is reliable and can handle my many pop3 mailboxes and can handle Google mail & calendar integration too.

1. Is anyone using Evolution in this way?
2. do you find it reliable?
3. have you successfully backed up a restored ALL you data?

You advice and experience would be very helpful.

wolfen69
April 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
i've never used evolution. thunderbird works great for my needs.

Guillaumeb
April 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Everything's webbased with Google Apps for me

Ascenti0n
April 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
wow, a distinct lack of enthusiasm for Evolution. :(

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I've tried using Evolution with my Gmail/Google Contacts/Google Calendars and it works alright.

I'm not thrilled with the interface over Thunderbird & Lightning but it did work alright. For example, I like the headers of the email be minimalized, which is simple in Thunderbird but I haven't figure it completely out in Evolution.

I did have trouble with my Google Calendar but I have that when I go to the website as well so I think it is something with my content-filter and not Evolution/Google.

I've liked the idea of KDE's PIM since all of the components can be run individually or altogether in one app.

Oh.. and at work I'm running Outlook 2007 which is quite nice compared to Outlook 2000 which was lousy in my experience, and 2003 which I was upgraded from.

chrisinspace
April 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
When was the last time you tried Thunderbird/Lightning? I'm using it with 2 Gmail accounts, my school's Exchange server, and several Google calendars. It works great. I do everything through imap and my calendars sync their content from the online Google calendar so there is no fear of data loss. My computer could catch fire, set off the sprinkler system, then be crushed by falling debris and all of my information would be safe and sound on an external server.

Ascenti0n
April 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
thanks fro the info dragonbite.

I've been looking into importing a two month old 2003 PST file into Evolution, which is now supposed to support that file format, but I can't get it to work, and according to a google search, I'm not alone.

I might try to import my Thunderbird mailboxes so I can give Evolution a shakedown.

Ascenti0n
April 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM
@chrisinspace: I simply backup the .thunderbird folder before I upgrade to Jaunty, restored said folder, then installed Thunderbird app..... mail accounts a data was fine.... Calendar and tasks.... GONE, disappeared, half inched (pinched).

chrisinspace
April 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Man, that is a royal pain. I'm not sure about tasks, but my method doesn't really rely on local files for calendar items. I create calendars in Google Calendars, then using the 'Provider for Google Calendars' I sync them into Lightning. It refreshes every half hour causing a couple of seconds of lag, but other than that, it works flawlessly. Items added in the web interface show up in Lightning and vice versa.

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
thanks fro the info dragonbite.

I've been looking into importing a two month old 2003 PST file into Evolution, which is now supposed to support that file format, but I can't get it to work, and according to a google search, I'm not alone.

I might try to import my Thunderbird mailboxes so I can give Evolution a shakedown.

Hmm.. haven't tried any restoring from PST files, though I've saved them here as 2000-2003 version and got them off the Exchange Server.

Man, that is a royal pain. I'm not sure about tasks, but my method doesn't really rely on local files for calendar items. I create calendars in Google Calendars, then using the 'Provider for Google Calendars' I sync them into Lightning. It refreshes every half hour causing a couple of seconds of lag, but other than that, it works flawlessly. Items added in the web interface show up in Lightning and vice versa.

Do you have more than one calendar? In the past (haven't tried with Jaunty yet) I could only get one Google Calendar but I have about 4 or 5 right now and have to connect to them as a Network Calendar, not a Google Calendar.

chrisinspace
April 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Do you have more than one calendar? In the past (haven't tried with Jaunty yet) I could only get one Google Calendar but I have about 4 or 5 right now and have to connect to them as a Network Calendar, not a Google Calendar.

I'm currently syncing 7 Google calendars. Have you tried the 'Provider for Google Calendars' add-on?

fatality_uk
April 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have used Evolution, since I started using gnome. I have never had any issues and with recent updates, integration with Exchange Server works well.

The interface is as good as it needs to be, simple and well laid out.

I would recommend it, even on Windows :D which does work with a little coaxing.

whitefort
April 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Since Evolution was a standard part of the Gnome setup, I tried hard to use and love it.

I tried really hard, for a month, ignoring the occasional bugs - then I hit one that was a real show-stopper (as regards email). After some Googling, I found that there was a fairly tedious workaround, and I also found out that the bug has existed for years, but because there's a workaround the developers don't regard it as worthy of their time.

The bottom line is that I was shocked to find a 'core' program so buggy, so I gave up and looked elsewhere.

Ascenti0n
April 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
@whitefort: so what solution have you gone to?