PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 9.04 but can't log in!

iCraig
April 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys,

Hopefully this is in the right forum, if not please forgive me.

I've been using 8.10 for a while now and liked it, last night I decided to upgrade to 9.04.
But I have 1 problem, 8.10 autologged in if I remember rightly.

But 9.04 is asking me for a username and password, I know this sounds mighty stupid but I can't for the life of me remember what I set them as. I can remember the sudo password though from 8.10 as I used them alot.

Is there any way, or should I say fairly easy way to rectify it without delving into command line etc to sort it? Or should I reinstall and not be such an idiot next time?

Cheers

Craig

abn91c
April 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Hopefully this is in the right forum, if not please forgive me.

I've been using 8.10 for a while now and liked it, last night I decided to upgrade to 9.04.
But I have 1 problem, 8.10 autologged in if I remember rightly.

But 9.04 is asking me for a username and password, I know this sounds mighty stupid but I can't for the life of me remember what I set them as. I can remember the sudo password though from 8.10 as I used them alot.

Is there any way, or should I say fairly easy way to rectify it without delving into command line etc to sort it? Or should I reinstall and not be such an idiot next time?

Cheers

Craig
go to terminal or ctrl+alt+f1 for command prompt
you will get yourname@yourcomputername prompt~:$
the red text in the example will be your user name, same sudo passwork you have been using

iCraig
April 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
go to terminal or ctrl+alt+f1 for command prompt
you will get yourname@yourcomputername prompt~:$
the red text in the example will be your user name, same sudo passwork you have been using

Thank you!
I feel such an idiot now though!:lolflag:

ken78724
April 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Craig: have a similar question... not sure I follow your instruction.
completed 9.04 desktop 64 bitAMD.iso install; it asked to be updated, which I did; then was able to work a while. saw message, you've had a crash; OS continued to operate but i reported the bug to launchpad.net under ken78724. logged off last night. but I tried to log back in shortly last night and this morning. now can solely see Kubuntu on start up but a blue grey screen.. Where to.

did a full install on 80 gig previously operating with a dual booting freespire 2.08 & linspire 6.017 on which I found a virus in a file named us0105.exe with the file containing the virus identified by gmail.com when I sent my files to be kept to my own email address.

Question: could the file containing that virus have survived the full install? Or, what could account for kbuntu to boot with blue grey screen?

can I get to terminal or ctrl+alt+F1? unplugged the 80gig on the same PC and now using 8.10 desktop so my hardware is okay.

joeally
April 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
try this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1140142. It shows you how to change your password even if you have forgotten it. You'll need to go to console though. Well you'll need to go to recovery console then "drop to root" then follow instructions