PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] TightVNCserver Keyboard mapping problem after 9.04 Upgrade

rmccarri
April 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hi,
I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop at home. When I went to VNC into it from work, the keyboard mapping was completely wrong. Has anyone else experienced this and have found a fix?
Thanks!
Rob

rmccarri
April 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hi,
I was able to find a fix for this here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/control-center/+bug/108928/comments/13

frostbite4783
April 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hi, I too am looking for a solution to this very same problem. Did that solutions work for you? If so could you break it down in simpler terms, I felt that link was a little vague.

modernmojo
May 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
The link for the solution is a little vague. I tried to follow it, but it did not work. Anybody else have a solution for this?

rmccarri
May 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone.
Sorry for the vagueness of the initial solution. While that solution did work for fixing the keyboard mapping issue over VNC, it introduced an error for my regular gnome session locally. However, I was able to find a fix that fixed the VNC issue without any errors:

Find your vnc xstartup file. It's in /home/"your username"/.vnc directory.

Add the following line:

export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1

to make the file read:

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
/etc/X11/Xsession

I hope this works for everyone.

vectorm12
May 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have no issues with the mapping of the keys whatsoever after updating to 9.04 however I do have an issue where the session suddenly stops accepting "£" via VNC. However if I go and type in the same character on the computer locally it starts to work via VNC again. I have no idea of how/why/when this happens. It seems to be completely random in my experience.

I've tried using Vista/windows7 beta 7077 with realvnc client as well as OS X 10.5.6 with realvnc when this issue does present itself. The only way of resolving the issue is by connecting a keyboard to the computer and make the input locally after that it starts to work again via VNC sessions as well.

Anyone seen this one before?

chakujitsu
May 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone.
Sorry for the vagueness of the initial solution. While that solution did work for fixing the keyboard mapping issue over VNC, it introduced an error for my regular gnome session locally. However, I was able to find a fix that fixed the VNC issue without any errors:

Find your vnc xstartup file. It's in /home/"your username"/.vnc directory.

Add the following line:

to make the file read:

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
/etc/X11/Xsession

I hope this works for everyone.
Works like a charm!
THANK YOU!

bemar
October 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Worked for me. Thank you

ericaslakson
November 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
doesn't work for me. I just another false mapping.

AaronBaruch
November 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have the same problem with ubuntu 9.10 here. My workaround was to install vnc4server instead of tightvncserver.

chakujitsu
November 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Now on 9.10
Same fix stated by rmccarri (adding : export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1) worked again like a charm :))

Hoos-foos
January 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Same here after I correctly typed O instead of 0 (O, not Zero). duh

Now on 9.10
Same fix stated by rmccarri (adding : export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1) worked again like a charm :))

ale3andro
April 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Works for me too!
Thank you so much!