PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] looking for a good partition backup software with ext3 support

zero7404
April 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
hello,

u use acronis true image home v11 for my windows vista partition and it works well....

but seeing that i started to transition my 'dependencies' for pc use from vista to ubuntu, i'm looking for a program that will back up entire disks/partitions faster than a simple sector-by-sector approach.

the version of true image i have does not support compressed backup of my ext3 partition, and it needs to revert to a sector-by-sector, and it's 150GB so it will take some time to back it up.

i refuse to pay acronis more money to upgrade to true image 2009 in order to gain the functionality....is there any linux based software out there that will allow me to do this ? it would also be nice if i could use it to back up ntfs partitions as well....

aharown07
August 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'd love some info on this also. Same situation.
I keep thinking there's got to be a way to run True Image Home natively in Linux though, because isn't that what the boot disk does? It loads some kind of Linux then runs True Image. So why can't it do that from Ubuntu?
I'm digging for info on this so if I find it I'll post here.

stlsaint
August 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
hey guys head to the repos and just type in "backup" a nice list will come up...i believe for what you are trying to do you may want to check out vbackup in repos but like i said you will get a nice list of options!!