PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Mini9 Wireless fails after update

Cyberwiz64
April 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I am a major newbie to Ubuntu so your patience is appreciated. I bought a Dell mini 9 recently. I was connected to my wireless network and life was good. :KS

Last night it said updates were ready so I applied them. There were about 135 of them. It took a while to update. After the update I could not connect wirelessly. I checked and the wireless settings were erased. I reset the card up but I am having no luck connecting wirelessly.

I connected hardwired and that works. I checked for new updates but there were none.

Any ideas?

Thank you in Advanced.

Marty

duckfeet
April 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yep, only real problem I've had w/Dell mini9,(that wasn't of my own making), has been w/wireless...I had the exact wpa pswd, and kept typing it in, over and over and over, trying everything, and it didn't work...it would recognize the network, but wouldn't log in...and I called Dell--and linksys--for hours trying to get help, but once they heard that I didn't have Windows,,,no help was coming...

What I finally had to do was boot up another computer that was hooked up w/usb, run the wireless-g router disk, and *change* the password, and then log in again on mini-9, and then it worked...what I had done before that, tho, was set up the router to where it was an *open* network, where you didn't need a password, just to find out of my mini-9 was really working, and it logged in fine that way...

Well, I hope someone can help you, as I know what I did was really convoluted, but anyway, best wishes to you...

P.S.: the other thing I had to do, after doing "apps" updates, was remove anything but the canonical repositories from my "updates" as the ubuntu places just didn't work right, and always caused problems w/updates...it seems like if you update applications, they add those repositories...

I am a major newbie to Ubuntu so your patience is appreciated. I bought a Dell mini 9 recently. I was connected to my wireless network and life was good. :KS

Last night it said updates were ready so I applied them. There were about 135 of them. It took a while to update. After the update I could not connect wirelessly. I checked and the wireless settings were erased. I reset the card up but I am having no luck connecting wirelessly.

I connected hardwired and that works. I checked for new updates but there were none.

Any ideas?

Thank you in Advanced.

Marty