PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Incorrect partition size

ddollas
April 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone here could offer me some advice on how to correct an issue I caused for myself.

I just installed a partition for 9.04 on my machine alongside windows vista. The problem is that when I selected the side-by-side option for installing the OS so that I wouldn't wipe my Vista install, it only allocated 121 MB to Ubuntu. That isn't even enough space to download all the updates. I attempted to clear the partition with Vista's disk manager, but it won't let me delete it. :/

Any suggestions for how I can get rid of this messed up install and try again?

(Ubuntu installed fine, I just need to banish this one mistake.)

Thanks!

aikiwolfie
April 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Back up all your important data and the installers for any downloaded programs you don't want to lose.

Next boot from the Ubuntu Live CD.

Open Gparted from System > Administration > Partition Editor. This should show you the lay out of the partitions on the disk.

Select the Vista or NTFS partition and click Resize on the menu bar at the top. If it's greyed out, right click the partition and select Unmount. Then try the resize button again.

Repeat the last step for all other partitions you wish to resize or you can simply delete your Ubuntu partition and start the installation from scratch.

Edit: You may wish to check you actually have enough free space to begin with. Otherwise if 121MB was the most Ubuntu could free up resizing your Vista partition will mean the lose of data. It is also a good idea to defrag your Vista partition before doing any of this.

ddollas
April 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I have to chalk this up to it being late and I just wasn't paying attention, I have 300 gigs of free space, and another hard drive with 400. (the latter being the location I wanted to place Ubuntu in the first place.)

Again thanks much! :)

old_geekster
April 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone here could offer me some advice on how to correct an issue I caused for myself.

I just installed a partition for 9.04 on my machine alongside windows vista. The problem is that when I selected the side-by-side option for installing the OS so that I wouldn't wipe my Vista install, it only allocated 121 MB to Ubuntu. That isn't even enough space to download all the updates. I attempted to clear the partition with Vista's disk manager, but it won't let me delete it. :/

Any suggestions for how I can get rid of this messed up install and try again?

(Ubuntu installed fine, I just need to banish this one mistake.)

Thanks!

If you are using two separate hard drives, then don't select the side-by-side option. You can simply install JJ on the second drive and GRUB will allow you access either OS. I have been doing this for years with XP Pro and Ubuntu.