PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Whats the Best Distro for my old PC

Lordships
April 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi, I am new on the forums but I have been working with Ubuntu for about 2 years now. I recently was asked to find a Distro for this Machine.

Laptop
Processor - 700 MHZ
RAM - 128 MB
HD Space - 12 GB
USB Wireless (I can get this to work in Ubuntu and Ubuntu off shoots.)

I know I saw a thread somewhere about choosing a distro but I have been unable to track it down again. What I am looking for for this PC is:

-User friendliness (Its for a life long Windows user)
-Easy install of games and misc programs for a window user.
*Basic Games like solitaire and mines, maybe Starcraft at the best (Edit)
-Attractiveness
-Speed

This machine is for the conversion of a life long Windows user. I have tried:
-Ubuntu 8.04 (which resulted in the PC having a heart attack.)
-MoonOS (Which seems to be sortof working but its just barely below what I was looking for in speed.)

FYI Its already maxed out for RAM.
I know it will probobly be hard to find an OS but either way anything is better than Windows Me. (The previous OS)

Starting a List of suggestions:

Xubuntu
Puppy Linux
Fluxbuntu
Ubuntu server edition (With a light window manager)
DSL
Elive

Starting a List of Attempted:

Ubuntu 8.10
-Failed
Ubuntu 8.04
-Failed
MoonOS
-Runs with Massive lag when you start apps.

apparle
April 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I am not sure but try
http://xubuntu.com/get
What games do you expect on 128MB RAM.........Card games or snake or something like that??

Lordships
April 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Sorry should have clarified that, Yeah just basic games such as:

-Solitaire
-Mines
-Some online flash games.

Stuff like that

Simian Man
April 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Don't get Xubuntu, it isn't much faster than standard Ubuntu. I'd recommend Puppy Linux for that thing.

benj1
April 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
in my experience where xubuntu works ubuntu works. you could try something fluxbuntu or you could try puppy linux, if you want to go really light DSL , which is debian based, you could try the ubuntu server edition and install a light window manager, and the things that you need, all the other light options i can think of involve slackware, which probably isnt suitable for a window refugee.
also as apparle says what games are you expecting to play?

snowpine
April 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Puppy is cool because they host a lot of user-submitted "puplets" each with a different look and feel. You should be able to find a puplet that is user-friendly for a windows person. Good luck!

Lordships
April 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
also as apparle says what games are you expecting to play?

Nothing Major just some basic games like solitaire and mines. Starcraft at the most. Along with some online flash games. The important thing is that the user will be able to install the basic solitaire/Mine like games with ease.

elasto1mania
April 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
You could try Elive.

dLeon
April 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Still using Ubuntu distro:
Use Ubuntu Alternate Install CD/DVD. At Ubuntu setup screen, press F4 & choose to install basic system only. It gives you basic Linux system only (without X or any binaries X dependant). After all setup processes complete, login to your fresh Linux box (hope you're confortable with command line). Run Aptitude, update your database, choose to install Xfce desktop (not Xubuntu). I feel Xfce only installation is leeaner than Xubuntu default. But still I could suggest to use Desktop system like Openbox, fmwv, lxde, twm, jwm, etc.. The latest guys I mention are more system resource friendly.
About Games:
Except your clients want to hassle with Wine. I can't think any other alternatives, sorry.

Kasinator009
April 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I would have to place my money on Open GEU. its ubuntu and enlightenment so you get the best of both.

sports fan Matt
April 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Id also suggest puppy or dsl...