PDA

View Full Version : Savage 2 wont run

Zoyberk
April 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I just downloaded Savage 2 from official website, installed it through terminal and all went well till i tryed to run it.
When i run it, screen just goes black for second and nothing happens, i can continue work normaly and savage 2 don't run.
...i also installed it as root, and cant unistal it now, if i go to savage2 directory and run unistal it shows me that there was fatal error and it cant be done, if i want just delete all files it wont allow me to, since i instaled as root.

So could anyoen help me how to fix that, so i would be able to play it =)

Clopin
April 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Did you try to read the terminal output?
I think the problem might be the OpenGL version (which I had problems with aswell), but I'd like to know the terminal output anyways.

Zoyberk
April 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
could you tell how to do that (I'm quite noob in ubuntu XD)

Clopin
April 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Start terminal and navigate to your savage 2 folder, which in my case was:
/home/moller/Savage2/

As I assume you're already in your home folder when starting terminal, just do:
cd Savage2

In there you'll find savage2.bin, execute that using:
./savage2.bin

After doing that, Savage 2 should be executed, but since you got errors, it will post it inside terminal.

Zoyberk
April 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thats what i got:

zoyberk@greznica:~$ cd Savage2
zoyberk@greznica:~/Savage2$ ./savage2.bin
./savage2.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libk2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
zoyberk@greznica:~/Savage2$

and i have savage2.bin in my savage2 folder

Clopin
April 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well, now you have the reason to your error, unfortunatly, I've got no experience with that error.
I suggest you look around on the net. It should be fairly easy to find a solution, when you know the reason to the crash.

Zoyberk
April 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
hehe magic of google XD,
well, thanks for helping pointing out the problem =)

Vadi
April 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Sounds like you need a reinstall - K2 is their graphics engine they made for the game.

maheshjr2000
April 28th, 2009, 04:20 AM
If you want to remove something you installed as root just run the uninstall script as root. sudo whatever the uninstaller is
Oh and if you want to delete something that you created as root. sudo rm -rf it.

Firestem4
April 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM
If you need to update the system and do an itegrity check run the Dedicated-Server.sh script. It will output a lot of code to the terminal and do nothing for a while but eventualyl will update the system. This may fix your current issue.

I had an OpenGL issue due to my system having OpenGL3.0 and their checker could not realize 3.0 was better than 2.1 lol.

Firestem4
April 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM
If you want to remove something you installed as root just run the uninstall script as root. sudo whatever the uninstaller is
Oh and if you want to delete something that you created as root. sudo rm -rf it.

Be EXTREMELY careful about using "rm -rf". If used improperly it will more than likely disable your entire system. rm -rf will recursively delete a directory and the "f" arguement means non-verbose and will assume yes to all actions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=11

maheshjr2000
April 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I apologize I did assume proper usage and did not provide a warning. My post was not intended as malicious.

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Sounds like you need a reinstall - K2 is their graphics engine they made for the game.

could you explain how to do that? XD

If you need to update the system and do an itegrity check run the Dedicated-Server.sh script. It will output a lot of code to the terminal and do nothing for a while but eventually will update the system. This may fix your current issue.

I had an OpenGL issue due to my system having OpenGL3.0 and their checker could not realize 3.0 was better than 2.1 lol.

Did that, left it for about 10 min, nothing helped

maheshjr2000
April 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Ok Zoyberk: explain what EXACTLY you did when you installed and I or someone else on this board should be able to help you safely uninstall and reinstall.

sim-value
April 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
use :

sudo Savage2/uninstall-Savage2.sh

will uninstall savage then install it again ...

Do you have an ATI card ?

/me

Artificial Intelligence
April 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe a faulty download, so also try with a new download. Sounds like it's missing something from the game.

Installation;

mkdir ~/.Games
cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x Savage2Install-1.5.0-x86_64.bin
./Savage2Install-1.5.0-x86_64.bin

Destionation: /home/USERNAME/.Games/Savage2
Options: Default (selected)

Should do it.

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
After some trying i managed to uinstall and install, tryed do this few times it didn't help.
I have GeForce 8600 GT.

When i was installing i used exactly same steps as Artifactal Intelegence posted:

mkdir ~/.Games
cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x Savage2Install-1.5.0-x86_64.bin
./Savage2Install-1.5.0-x86_64.bin

Maybe a faulty download, so also try with a new download. Sounds like it's missing something from the game.

I'll trythat

Artificial Intelligence
April 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
..and you don't need to sudo anything, as you're installing it in your home directory. ;)
(Which is more safe system wise and security wise)

Vadi
April 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Zoyberk, does it say anything different now?

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Currently re-downloading, will try reinstal it in about hour or two, when i get home, hope it will work :)

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Installed fresh downloaded version agen, same crap as before BUT error changed.
I runed it in terminal and got this:

zoyberk@greznica:~/Games/Savage2$ ./savage2.bin
Savage2 - Fatal Error: OpenGL 2.1 not available.

any suggestions:)

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Tried to run : savage2_update.bin < --- got same error as when i was trying to run savage
dedicated_server.sh <---- left like 10 mins, nothing changed

Artificial Intelligence
April 28th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Try run the update bin again.

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Tried like 20 times, no luck, still same error

Zoyberk
April 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
wow,
I almost gived up, just left dedicated_server.sh running in background, and refreshing this site every min if someone post solution.
Like 20 mins after runing dedicated_server.sh computer started to lag liter and some winow poped up saying -updading Savage2-

tried to run savage 2, and eureka! its working! XD

thanks to all for all the help =):):):):):):)
Have nice day XD

Firestem4
April 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Glad you got it working. I should have mentioned it takes a VERY long time, so apologies on that part.

oldrocker99
April 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM
OK, here's one I haven't seen. I start the tutorial, practice charging as I am instructed, and just as another text box comes up, the game exits. I HAVE updated to 2.01.

Here's the terminal output:

./savage2.bin
warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite

Anyone seen this?

Toshiba L305d-S5895
ATI Radeon X1200 :(
AMD Turion TL-60

:guitar:

Vadi
April 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Skip the tutorial for now, play on the newbie server - I think they haven't updated the tutorial yet and it still teaches you about interrupt which is removed now.

oldrocker99
April 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'll give it a try in a couple of hours or so after I finish a few jobs around the house.

Thanks for the info about the tutorial.:)

:guitar:

izizzle
April 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM
How long is the update supposed to take? Iv'e left mine running for about an hour and it lagged alot but nothing changed.

Zoyberk
April 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Mine started in about 30 mins - I left terminal open for about 30 min, but only updating took about minute or less

Vadi
April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Try running the "CheckForUpdates" command too, although in my experience it didn't make it check right away