PDA

View Full Version : what happened to the Mac-on-Linux project?

laplace/d
April 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
i found the Mac-on-Linux project on sourceforge ( http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/news.php ) and it seems not to be going anymore... the point was to davelop a virtual machine to run OSX on linux. are there any other similar efforts being made?

JohnFH
April 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Is that actually legal? I haven't a clue about all things Mac, but I wouldn't be surprised if the OS can only be used on Mac hardware.

Johnsie
April 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
It hasn't been tested in the courts here... I think apple are probably encouraging this type of thing because it gets more people using their OS and promotes their brand name. Apples Macs are just PC's these days anyway.

chucky chuckaluck
April 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
from the news of 2007...

"Things are progressing slowly..."

probably a bad sign if that was the last we heard.

Johnsie
April 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
There has been progress with running OSX in VMWare on Linux.

http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=32

Obviously running one OS on top of another can be kind of slow so a more efficient might be to dual boot. Some people have got OSX working on ordinary pc's.

roaldz
April 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I've had OSX Leopard running on my T7200 Intel Dual core Laptop. My wireless wasn't supported, so I left.. I think it was hacked together by some turkish guy.

Roald

ssam
April 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
just to note, MoL was to run PowerPC Mac OS and Mac OS X on PowerPC linux. It worked pretty well when i used it a few years ago. But I do remember there being problems with it not supporting newer kernels in some ubuntu versions.

it did not have graphics acceleration, so it was not much use for things like video editing.

I guess there are not that many powerpc users that want to run a virtual machine for mac os X these days. so the project does not get much attention.

hyperdude111
April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
You can install a fully fledged mac on a normal pc with osx86 and kalyway.
You will probably have major issues especially driver issues