PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade using apt-get upgrade and letter

ubuntumaybe
April 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hi,

I would like to up grade to the most recent release. If I use the upgrade manager it will take too many hours. I would like to run the upgrade from the prompt using apt-get upgrade but doing only the apps beginning with an a first then moving on. How can I do this. Thanks.

mcduck
April 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hi,

I would like to up grade to the most recent release. If I use the upgrade manager it will take too many hours. I would like to run the upgrade from the prompt using apt-get upgrade but doing only the apps beginning with an a first then moving on. How can I do this. Thanks.

You can't. Packages depend on many other packages, and dependencies don't really follow alphabetic order or anything like that.

If you want to upgrade, you really need to upgrade everything.

ubuntumaybe
April 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for your speedy reply. The problem is that I am in a library and I am getting time estimates of 10hrs to 2 days to download all the files. There has to be another way of doing this. Thanks

Dougie187
April 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM
The other way would be to download the alternate cd and using that to preform an upgrade. Otherwise it will probably take a long time to upgrade.

ubuntumaybe
April 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I do not have a working cd-rom drive. So I cannot boot from a cd. Is there a way doing an update from booting the downloaded .iso file from a hard drive? Can the update be done in qemu? THanks.