PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade problem, need some advice

iver2435
April 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm in need of some advice regarding what do after an (apparent) failed Jaunty Upgrade. Here's what happened, and I'm hoping you can tell me what to do now.

I started upgrading my distro by using "Update Manager" at about 10:30 or so last night. I have a laptop, but it was plugged into the wall and I have power management set to "full power" when it's plugged in, so I did not have any reservations about letting it go all night.

This morning it was hung up at installing an upgrade to Adobe Flash player. I could not do anything other than reboot the thing, and when I did, I get to the GDM login screen, I log in, and nothing.....just a blank screen with a mouse cursor. So, now what? I don't really want to have to start over, although that would not be impossible, I just got my desktop the way I liked it and do not want to redo all that work.

Any advice you could give me would be great. Thanks!

iver2435
April 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I ended up fixing my problem by booting my kernel into rescue mode and running the dpkg option. this went through and found all my busted packages and let me boot into Gnome to deal with them. I love it when rescue mode ACTUALLY rescues you (unlike in Windows)