PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 -- Whats new?

jadhav333
April 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I am currently on Intrepid Ibex 8.10.

Can you pls share Whats new with 9.04 and is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks

ndefontenay
April 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
It's fast, on the Vaio I've installed, wireless was FINALLY out of the box.

There's a new file system format ext4 (although when I installed I saw it go to ext3 probably must be advanced installation).

For what I've understood this time it's not much about the eye candy, it's mostly under the hood.

There's a new gnome, if you got 2 monitor it's easier to configure too.

That's what I've seen so far. booting time was 14 seconds on the old vaio. cool.

Sef
April 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM
There's a new file system format ext4 (although when I installed I saw it go to ext3 probably must be advanced installation).

Ext3 is the default file system. To change it, you have to click the arrow next to ext3 and highlight ext4.

kpkeerthi
April 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Things I noticed:

1. Faster boot. (36 seconds from GRUB to Desktop (auto-login turned on) as against 65 seconds earlier) on my meagre Centrino 2 Ghz single core laptop. Note: My /boot is ext2. / and /home are ext4.

2. GCJ (The GNU Compiler for Java) not installed by default.

3. New sleek notification system.

4. Awesome "New Age" GTK theme & wallpapers. I usually switch to a theme that is based on blue. But this theme made me stick with the Brown/Orange chocolate desktop. :)

5. Wireless autoconnects without prompting for keyring password everytime.

6. IPv6 worked right off the bat. I had to disable it in earlier versions.

Other than these very minor problems (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1139490) it was a convincing upgrade for me.

ndefontenay
April 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the tip Sef. A bit too late now I guess. I don't want to go through another installation :/

bburg
April 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
5. Wireless autoconnects without prompting for keyring password everytime.

:confused: I'm also on 9.04, but it's asking for the password every time I boot my computer. How did you do that?