PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How do I move gnome panels in jaunty?

baking666
April 27th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I used to drag and drop a gnome panel to the side of the screen I wanted but now it seems the powers that be have removed that ability :-(

Yes I could open the options menu and pick top, bottom, side etc but this only supports single monitors...

So now I have no way of putting a gnome panel on my second monitor :-(

I assume the gnome dev's don't use dual monitors?

or have I missed something?

chris062689
April 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I want to say there locked down by default now.
Try Right Click > Preferences > Unlock

baking666
April 27th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I want to say there locked down by default now.
Try Right Click > Preferences > Unlock

I have no unlock option on my jaunty?

ninjapirate89
April 27th, 2009, 06:49 AM
There may be a way to get the results you want by playing with the Configuration Editor. Unfortunately I have never used dual-monitors and don't know how this would be done.

XeroXer
April 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I used to drag and drop a gnome panel to the side of the screen I wanted but now it seems the powers that be have removed that ability :-(

Yes I could open the options menu and pick top, bottom, side etc but this only supports single monitors...

So now I have no way of putting a gnome panel on my second monitor :-(

I assume the gnome dev's don't use dual monitors?

or have I missed something?

I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) a few days ago and have the same problem.

I use a laptop, most of the time at the office with a second monitor plugged in, but also a lot on it's own at home.
Since the upgrade I can never get the panels where I want them, they just position themself wherever they want.

If I right click an existing panel and select "New Panel" I never know with display it might end up on.
If I then select the panel properties and change position to something else, the panel sometimes jump over to the other display. (And sometimes even drag 1-2 other panels with it.)

blierp
April 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM
i found the 'answer' in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1133221&highlight=move+gnome+panel

basically, you have to rightclick the panel, go in the properties and uncheck 'Expand'. This allows you to move the panel. When it's in the right position check 'Expand' again and you're set.

i don't think this is how it's supposed to work but it'll do for now.

baking666
April 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM

basically, you have to rightclick the panel, go in the properties and uncheck 'Expand'. This allows you to move the panel. When it's in the right position check 'Expand' again and you're set.

Well not for what i want....for starters it only moves from top to bottom and any location in between. So you can't move to sides or to another monitor :-(

But thanks for the help :-)

cybrsrce
April 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Well not for what i want....for starters it only moves from top to bottom and any location in between. So you can't move to sides or to another monitor :-(

I was able to move it to the other monitor using this trick. I have separate X screens with Xinerama enabled (Nvidia NVS 140). Once placed on the second monitor I can go to properties -> expand -> and position it on any of the 4 edges.

What video card do you have?

skotos
April 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM

If you cannot otherwise grab the panel (this was my case), you have to disable the hide buttons, too: this will give you the space/handles to grab the panel wherever you want and this definitely solves the problem! :) HTH

wychwood
April 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I had the same problem - you can move them more easily than this by holding down "alt" and dragging the panel where you want it.

jazzgossen
April 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM
OK, that works. But after moving a panel to the next monitor and re-expanding it, I also need to re-place my applets where I want them... Sigh!

(Sorry for an unconstructive post, but this is just annoying)

FootySr
April 30th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks everyone! This is my first ubuntu install and I kept thinking I was missing something in the Display control panel. :)

Eneerge
April 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Ahhh, you have to use the ALT key now to move the panels. Why didn't I think of that? Lol, thanks for that tip.

If any of you are also having the problem where your panel positions are not being remembered, you can try modifying the %gconf.xml file. Here's my reply over on another post that explains the procedure: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7182438&postcount=18 and here it is in context: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799626&page=2

skotos
April 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
you can move them more easily than this by holding down "alt" and dragging the panel where you want it.
Thanks!

mrtorrent
May 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
The "alt" trick worked, thanks! What an irritating little thing.

Mongo5000
May 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Worked fine for me, thanks :guitar:

kstephens
June 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM
ALT+drag does not work for me.

What was the point of disabling dragging of the panel in 9.04? Was there any point at all? Why remove a convenience?

I regularly attach and detach a second monitor to laptop. Having to move the panels to different displays when I dock or undock was annoying enough, but now I have to:

1) right click
2) disable expand,
3) click OK,
4) move the panel right click,
5) enable expand,
6) click OK"

for two panels (!!!).

PLEASE: bring back the "MOVABLE" option in the right click menu from 8.x.

If someone will point me to the code, I'd put it back myself. :)

fizban9
June 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM

TY! That did it for me as well. I was already contemplating downgrading back to Jaunty if there was no fix for this.

eternalnewbee
June 14th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Right-click on the Panel, click on properties, and at Orientation you can choose left, right, or bottom . . .

asmoore82
June 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM
The rationale from the Gnome project is that Alt+Button1 moves windows, now the panel is the same.

I know from experience with my girlfriend and her friends that
it was too easy to accidentally move a panel before.

My suggestion for the future would be that Alt Drag should also be used
to remove ambiguity; it should always move whole panels and never
individual panel applets. Currently, you still have to make sure that
you Alt+Click "empty" space on the panel to grab it.

BTW, you could also "right-click the panel -> properties" and change "orientation,"
That is the ultimate equalizer against ambiguity I guess.

smokey_58au
June 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM
ALT+drag does not work for me.

What was the point of disabling dragging of the panel in 9.04? Was there any point at all? Why remove a convenience?

I regularly attach and detach a second monitor to laptop. Having to move the panels to different displays when I dock or undock was annoying enough, but now I have to:

1) right click
2) disable expand,
3) click OK,
4) move the panel right click,
5) enable expand,
6) click OK"

for two panels (!!!).

PLEASE: bring back the "MOVABLE" option in the right click menu from 8.x.

If someone will point me to the code, I'd put it back myself. :)

Exactly my scenario. Why oh why did they ever change something that worked efficiently and perfectly. This is a real pain to me because I change from laptop to laptop/monitor multiple times in any given day. And in addition to the steps above, I now also have to change the settings for the hide buttons with each move. This is a backward step that I can't see any justifiable reason for. And as for (on the rare occasion it happened) moving a panel in error - it was sooooooo easy to put it back before. Try putting it back now!! :(

asmoore82
June 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Exactly my scenario. Why oh why did they ever change something that worked efficiently and perfectly. This is a real pain to me because I change from laptop to laptop/monitor multiple times in any given day. And in addition to the steps above, I now also have to change the settings for the hide buttons with each move. This is a backward step that I can't see any justifiable reason for. And as for (on the rare occasion it happened) moving a panel in error - it was sooooooo easy to put it back before. Try putting it back now!! :(

Alt+Drag - it's just that easy.

if it doesn't work, it will be whatever you have changed it to under
"System -> Preferences -> Windows" and the "Movement Key" section.

gilesp
June 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Alt+Drag - it's just that easy.

if it doesn't work, it will be whatever you have changed it to under
"System -> Preferences -> Windows" and the "Movement Key" section.

Unfortunately, this only works for me if I have my "Movement Key" set to "Alt". This proved to be an annoyance to me in other applications, so I had it set to the "Super" (windows logo) key, and moving my panels using that didn't work. Am too busy to file a bug right now :(

mhgsys
June 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
why don't you just add new panels to the second monitor>>?

and to put the panel back to original , just check the expand option again.

Coder_ak
July 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Still no progress with this bug.
Really annoying.
Is somebody filled a bug on Launchpad or somewhere else?

todb
September 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
First off, thanks for the uncheck "Expand" tip. That totally works. It's still only half a solution, though -- I use a couple scripts to switch between laptop-only and external monitor configs:

todb@mazikeen:~$ cat `which 1screen`
#!/usr/bin/env bash

xrandr --output TMDS-1 --off
xrandr --output VGA --off
xrandr --output LVDS --auto
todb@mazikeen:~$ cat `which 2screen`
#!/usr/bin/env bash

xrandr --output TMDS-1 --auto
xrandr --output LVDS --left-of TMDS-1

todb@mazikeen:~$

Now, if I go to 1screen, my panel disappears completely, when on 8.10, it dutifully moved over.

Another irritant is that my Window List won't move to the correct "bottom" of my external monitor -- if I move it over to the larger monitor, it still behaves as though it's stuck at the bottom of the smaller laptop screen (which makes it kind of hang out about an inch and a half above the true bottom of the external display.

I haven't figured out how to fix this.

So sad. Perhaps it's time to try another window manager...

nimbis
October 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Another solution:

1. Right-click on the gnome-panel and click "New Panel".
2. Do this twice and you should now have 4 panels on your first screen.
3. Repeat (1) again and panels will now be created on the second screen.0
4. When you have the panels you want, delete the ones you don't :).

Rich43
October 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM
If you cannot otherwise grab the panel (this was my case), you have to disable the hide buttons, too: this will give you the space/handles to grab the panel wherever you want and this definitely solves the problem! :) HTH

VERY USEFUL ^^^

Thanks!

mkomo
April 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
there is also a setting in gconf, which can be changed in a script:

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/monitor 1
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen0/monitor 1this moves the top and bottom panel to the monitor at index '1'. you can move them back to your primary monitor with:

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/monitor 0
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen0/monitor 0I have the following script which takes an argument ('l'=laptop, 'e'=external, 'b'=both):

#!/bin/sh

while getopts “leb” OPTION
do
case $OPTION in
l)
xrandr --output VGA1 --off --output LVDS1 --auto
;;
e)
xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --pos 0x0 --output LVDS1 --off
;;
b)
xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --pos 0x0 --output LVDS1 --auto --pos 1280x0
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/monitor 1
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen0/monitor 1
;;
esac
done